Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    judipete

Default SEARL AND SANDO in Maker

Does anyone have Matthew Searl and Philippa Sando married 7th May 1805 in Maker in their family history? I have found three children recorded of the marriage: John Sando and Elijah (twins 1st October 1809) and Hannah Holmes Searl (13th January 1811). On 1841 census Matthew and Philippa lived in East Street Devonport East Stonehouse, Devon. John Sando Searl is my GG grandfather. Four of John Sando Searl's children migrated to Victoria Australia.

kinshar

Smile Searl Family

Hi

IGI has a possible two more children

Thirza Tregetes Searl
    Born ~ 29 June 1815
    Christened ~ 2 Dec 1816 Morrice St -Wesleyan, Devonport, Devon, England
    Parents ~ Mathew Searl & Philipa

Charlotte Holmes Searle
    Born ~ 20 June 1817
    Christened ~ 1 Sept 1817 Morrice St -Wesleyan, Devonport, Devon, England
    Parents ~ Mathew Searl & Philipa

Both entries are extracted from local records.

Regards
    Kinshar

judipete

Thanks so much for the information about the children of Matthew Searl. I had not found these births and baptisms on the IGI, so this was a great help. The Searl family in Plymouth had connections with the group around Charles Wesley, so these records all fit.
    Regards
    Judith

Wobbley

Brian
    Parish Maker
    Name Hannah Holmes SEARL
    Father: Mathew SEARL - Mother Philippia
    Date 13th Jan 1811

Brian

carolm

Children of Mathew Searl and Phillippa Sando are: John Sandoe Searl born July 13, 1807 (but baptised at the same time as Elijah Searl, who was born Oct 1 1809 and died Oct 31, 1809), Johanna Holmes Searl baptised Jan 13, 1811, William Holmes Searl baptised Feb 21, 1813, Thirza Tregetes Searl born June 29 1815, Charlotte Holmes Searl, born June 20, 1817, Samuel Sando Searl born June 3, 1821, Conway Holmes Searl born 1824.

My gt-gt grandmother was Johanna Holmes Searl.
    Carol

judipete

Hello Carol,
    It is interesting that your Johanna Holmes Searl and my Hannah Holmes Searl were baptised on the same day in Maker. Also that Hannah is so similar to Johanna. I have checked over my records and see that the Cornwall Baptism Index from Fed of Family History Societies have her as Hannah Holmes Searl. Also the 1841 and 1851 UK census and her death all record Hannah. She married James Gurney 2nd May 1833 in Stoke Damerol Devon. Her brother John Sando Searl was my Gt Gt grandfather. I would be interested to know where you found the Johanna and if the Gurney marriage connects with your Johanna.
    Judith

njap53

A late addition to this thread so I guess it may have been lost in obscurity

James Gurney & Hannah are my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents. Their children were Thurza (a Thirza connection from a previous post) 1834-1887, William 1836, Emily 1839, Eliza 1842, Matthew 1848 and George (my line) 1857-1916. George married Catherine Lugg (sorry. I haven't got the dates to had) and on her death married Blanche Kate Roper.

As for Johanna/Hannah it could be the original record was "Latin-ized".

Nick

judipete

Hi Nick,
    Great to have your contribution and no, this thread is not lost in obscurity! There are other contributors who may have more on the Gurney family than me. I have checked my database and have records for the children of James and Hannah until the birth of William in 1848. as recorded above. However I cannot find your George on the census and am wondering if you have found his record there or if you have his birth certificate. I did note that there was a 13 year old George Gurney on the 1871 census who was living at an institution for the blind. Is this him? Happy hunting
    Judith

njap53

That's George. "blind from birth" is a bit of an exaggeration although he had very bad eyesight all his life. Possibly he was put there because his parents were unable to look after him suitably.

He became involved in music as a church organist/choir master and peripatetic music teacher.

In the early 70's he's organist in Camborne before moving to Crewkerne (Parish Church) in 1878

He marries Cathering Augusta LUGG on 7 Jan 1880 and they have 4 children

George William (Willie) 3 Sep 1882 in Crewkerne, married May Violet GATES, died abt 1957 in Great Yarmouth
    Eveline Eliza 11 Jun 1886 married Benjamin William STEELE circa 1911, died about 1962 Great Yarmouth
    Gordon 20 Nov 1887 twin - died at birth
    Beatrice (Tricie/Trissie) 20 Nov 1887 never married died late 1964 in Worcester (also had bad eyesight)

1886-1887 I've traced him to the Helston area - Wendron St - possibly living with his wife's family.

Spends a while in Aldeburgh, Suffolk, I think as a music teacher.

Catherine Augusta dies 29 May 1892 in Aldeburgh.

On 19 Apr 1893 (Lady Chapel, Ely Cathedral) he marries Blanche Kate ROPER (who I think had been taken on as a governess for the children). Her dates 27 Jul 1869 Ipswich to 27 Dec 1937, Birmingham.

1898-1901 Organist at Aysgarth, North Yorkshire, living both in West Burton and (1901) at the west end of Aysgarth village where the road goes off to Thornton Rust. Probably left area late 1901.

By May 1904 he is back in Cornwall in Camborne where he dies 10 Jan 1916

George and Kate have the following children:

Harold (Hal) George 14 Dec 1894 in Yarmouth died 17 Nov 1943 Birmingham
    Claude Arthur 25 Feb 1897 in Yarmouth died mid-1972 Solihull, West Midlands
    Doris Kate 19 Mar 1900 (my paternal grandmother) in Aysgarth (district), North Yorks died 31 Dec 1965 Kings Norton, Birmingham
    Blanche Edith ?? Apr 1902 in Aysgarth (district) died mid 1987 Birmingham
    Mabel Eleanor 3 May 1904 in Camborne died 20 Sep 1977 Little Bromwich, West Midlands

Some of the earlier dates are likely to be baptism rather than birth. I have some certificates but they are not on this computer and I'll have to find them (although they are scanned). I can see I can attach images - does that include pdfs?

Nick (Pilley)

njap53

Hmm, I see I can attach the URL to an image but not the image itself. I'll do it the hard way. Certificate says

District Stoke Damorel,1857 in the sub division of Clowance in the couty of Devon.
    Number 309 10th May 1857 George, boy - father James Gurney, mother Hannah Gurney formerly Searl, father's occ. Mason's labourer, signed X the mark of James Gurney father 23 Water Lane Devonport, registered 21st May 1857

I have James & Hannah's death certs and I'll do them the same way later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast