Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default coal ash labourer

I've just come across a "coal ash labourer". Anyone any ideas of what he would have done?

Coal ash is obviously the residue left from buring coal, but I wonder what this chap would have done with it. He was in Ramsgate, so not in an industrial area.

Jan1954

Hello Davran,

I did a search with the words "coal ash labourer" in this site and it brought up a couple of hits. Click on search at the left of the page:

http://www.victorianlondon.org/

A lot of reading is involved but it seems to refer to dockside labourers in one part.

Valued member of Brit-Gen. *bunty*'s Avatar
    Central Queensland, Australia (but from New Zealand!)

Could coal ash refer to the powdered coal rather than lumps? I wonder if they were responsible for the clean up of 'slack'? At present, coal ash refers to the mineral content in coal (ie the rock as opposed to the carbon-based material), which is washed out as part of clean coal technology. Not sure if this relates though . I am interested to find out what the job of coal ash labourer is, as I am a mining engineer at a coal mine .

Thanks for the link, Jan, but I couldn't find anything specifically relating to coal ash.

Bunty, I doubt it was anything to do with mining. Ramsgate is a small sea port with a hinterland of farmland. There were no mines in the immediate vicinity, though there were several within a 20-mile radius - now all closed down.

Loves to help with queries.

Hi Davran,

What year was this?

Could it be that he was the forerunner to what (in my day ) was called a dustman, who collected the ashes from open fires? (in modern times referred to as 'refuse collectors' ?)

Regards Helen

It was 1861. I had considered someone who collected ash from open fires, but I think most people used to chuck the ashes down the garden or maybe used them in the privy. And why specifically coal ash? I believe wood ash was used in soap making at one time, but I don't know about coal ash.

Just found this website:

http://www.ukqaa.org.uk/AboutAsh1.html

Seems like coal ash can be used in concrete/building blocks, but would this have been the case in 1861?

Oh dear, I'm off at a tangent again! This chappy was nothing at all to do with my own family and there I am finding out about his job!

Valued member of Brit-Gen. *bunty*'s Avatar
    Central Queensland, Australia (but from New Zealand!)

Yes, a dustman sounds like a possible job. Fly ash from coal wasn't used in concrete until the 1930s though. It may have been used in some other product though. Perhaps brick making?

Settled in very nicely!

Not sure when the 'job' was done , but could the 'coal ash' be the residue of ANTHRACITE' which was used to cut down on the 'pea-soupers' we experienced in the waely 1950's?

Colin

Did he, I wonder, clean the ash from some sort of coal-fired boiler? And dust was considered very valuable if my memory serves me well - it's a long time since I've read Our Mutual Friend with Mr Boffin and his dust heaps.

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast