1637, with no further details, but cannot find any parish records that this
    came from. I am interested in the further details, i.e. the ancestry of the
    person concerned. I have investigated the Scottish National Archives,
    Edinburgh, and the Forfar Archives, Restenneth Priory. 1670 is an
    arbitrary date. Restenneth has records of marriages from 1662, but none of
    births prior to that date.

Lottie

Default births/baptisms records - prior to 1670

If there no records for Restenneth prior to 1662 , I would say the IGI record, was probably a Ancestral submission , rather than a true record.
    Somebody guessed the approxiamte birth date for their forebear.

It may be worth your checking surrounding Parishes !

Helen
    New Zealand

xylophone

Helen,

Many thanks. This is precisely what I have been advised, since my post, by a retired, professional genealogist. She has compiled a history of the population of Cortachy and Clova in the 18 and 19 centuries, I have emailed her, and I am hoping she will advise me. I am also in touch a gentleman who was the Airlie estate factor for 30 years, a Deputy Lord Lieutenant of the County, and like me, a retired lawyer. He is looking up old maps for Braehead he has access to, and other material for my subject, it would appear in old Airlie family records the public does not have access to. So fingers crossed. I am very fortunate to have made these two contacts. Do you have a Scottish connection?

Kindest regards

Malcolm Harrison

Lottie

Default births/baptisms records - prior to 1670

Malcolm

Glad to hear you have found another possible access to information.

Yes I do have Scottish Connections , as does my husband.

My family , on my Maternal Side THOMSON and LEADBETTER ,, originated in Eddlestone area of Peebleshire , some moving to Penicuik , Midlothian in mid 18th Century . My 2 X Gt Grandparents emigrated to Dunedin , New Zealand in 1858.
    My husband's family ( again Maternal side ) came from Kirriemuir and Arbroath . We have the STEWARTs of Kirriemuir back to abt 1790, but the ROBERTSON/LOUSONs of Arbroath we have traced back to 1689. My husband's 2 X Gt Grandparent's emigrated to Nelson , New Zealand in 1863.

All the Best

Helen ( aka Lottie )
    New Zealand
    Last edited by Lottie; 31-03-2008 at 9:30 AM. Reason: spelling !!!!

acorntree

Default I.G.I.

Hi Xylophone, go to igi for the name you want, then go to bottom of that page, click on the search no, bottom left . WHEN THE PAGE LOADS , JUST PUT IN THE sIR NAME, NO FORST NAMES, KEEP SEARCHING THRE ALL THE DATES TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANYMORE FAMILY MEMBERS LISTED, THEY MAY HAVE PLACE ATTACHED. FAILING THAT, CLICK ON THE SERIES NO BOTTOM OF PAGE YOU SEARCHED FOR THE NAME, CLICK ON , IT WILL TELL YOU WERE THEY HAVE THE RECORDS FOR THAT NAME, THE CHURCH WERE THEY COPIED THE NAME WILL BE LISTED. TRY IT OUT, HAVE A PLAYREGARDS ACORNTREE

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Earliest Parish Records

According to Collins "Tracing Scottish Ancestors", the oldest existing parish record in Scotland is for Errol, Perthshire, which started in 1553. Only 21 out of the 850 parishes in Scotland have registers for prior to 1600, and only 127 for 1600 to 1650. So the chances of getting information from OPRs prior to 1650 looks pretty slim.

Elwyn

xylophone

Thanks, Elwyn,

I have managed to trace the session minutes (I assume these are parish and not church minutes) for Cortachy from 1659 on and for Cortachy and Clova (then a united parish) following on again in the National Archives of Scotland and their reference numbers. They are not available online so I will have to go to Edinburgh to view them. I am a member of NAS. They won't let you in to the building unless you are a member, which upsets lots of visitors, myself included when I first went there.

If I have not made it clear, my interest is in a known record of 'my' James Ogilvy having married Janet Ogilvy at Cortachy and Clova in 1662. I have seen a fiche of that record at the Angus archives office, the original being held at NAS. It is possible the 1662 record at NAS will say a bit more than what is on the fiche, and that there is a reference to James and/or Janet in the session minutes I mention. Both long shots, but as you will be aware, who knows in this family research business!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am certainly very interested in the lady who has written history of the population of Cortachy and Clova in the 18 and 19 centuries....

My earliest direct ancestral record is of a birth of James Ogilvy in 1648, in Aylith, Perth. The family then moved to Glen Clova and was there from the early 1700s until present, with family members still living nearby.

My great grandparents David and Ann Winter Ogilvy (nee Robbie) were at Rottal, Glen Clova, in late 1800s Eldest surviving son, David, emigrated to New Zealand ca 1902

Interesting books include:

The Land of the Ogilvys - by Duncan Frazer
    and
    Glens Folk - illustrated celebrating life in Angus Glens from the Glens Millenium Group