Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mentorscotus

Smile R.I.F.Museum

Dear Peter,
    Thanks to your post I have written to the researcher Robert at the R.I.F. Museum.He thinks he MAY have some additional information on my grandfathers service,assuming we have the correct man at last...though I certainly believe we have.Time will tell.
    I am hoping and praying it is MY John Daly...though the spelling of his surname,is " skiwiff " again.If so I plan to visit his grave and approach the C.W.G.C. to have his name added to the Coatbridge War Memorial.So keep your fingers crossed we get the correct man and the correct information from Armagh.
    Thank you again.
    Mentorscotus

mentorscotus

Default John Daly/Armagh/Coatbridge.....result

[QUOTE=peter nicholl;148793]This doesn't quite fit, but ..........
    Soldiers Died .. shows a John Daily, Private 24896, 1st Battalion, Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers), Residence Coatbridge. Killed in Action 18 July 1918, France & Flanders. CWGC shows him as J Daily, Mont Noir Military Cemetery, St Jans-Cappel, II B5

Dear Peter,
    and all those who posted on this search
    Thank you for this lead.I wrote to the R.I.F. MUSEUM researcher Robert Cassells in Armagh and he has traced the death report from Mont Noir.It has the correct spelling of my grandfathers name.He also indicated that movement between units,regiments, or from T.A. to active service in WW1 did lead to service personnel with several service nos.The uninitiated researchers like me then get lost in a maze of numbers or wrong spellings etc.
    Now I would like to see if my local War Memorial in Coatbridge can add his name,since it does not appear there.We hope to visit Mont Noir in future as no member of his family has ever been there.I feel it will be very moving and emotional.
    Thank you all.

mentorscotus

Default One step forward ..two back

Someone sent me a communication attached to the Medal Roll Card of John Daly....which says his father Daniel applied for his medals in 1923.My Johns father was Luke Daly.....no Daniel Daly anywhere in his name.
    I am puzzled as everything else fits...so am I still on the wrong track...it is so upsetting at the stage were it looks like I have traced my grandfather.

mentorscotus

Default John Daily/Daly Mont Noir Cemetery

Went to visit this tiny but very beautiful hilltop cemetery in France and Flanders.What a fine place it is.Up a tiny lane,tucked away in a little clearing.Butterflies flitted everywhere in the light streaming from the nearby woodlands.Almost indicative of the souls laid to rest there.I am nearly certain that the John here is my grandfather.Just the one problem with the name of the man who collected his medals.Johns father was Luke...the medals were written for in 1921 by a Daniel.....as far as I have searched I cannot find out why?
    Anyway I spent a long time at Mont Noir.I REMEMBERED THEM...every one.
    A moving experience.

mentorscotus

Default The John Daly saga,looks like another start

Well my pursuit of details of the John Daily from Tartlghan have yielded his records and resting place at Mont Noir,France and Flanders.Further to this I found that mans father was called Daniel,who lived and worked in Coatdyke in the same area as my grandfather John.This Daniel later returned to Dungannon and wrote through his daughter for the medals of that John.That seems to suggest that my John Daly whose father was Luke from Armagh is another man altogether.

However a poster on another site now suggests that MY jOHN dALY/dALEY appeared to have perhaps survived the war....a contrast to the family stories which suggested he had died in WW1.

They pointed out that in the book Coatbridge Men Of the Great War, a person, possibly my John, no 13236 of the Royal Irish Fusiliers, was among men returning as survivors of the war.
    How to proceed now? Any ideas folks?

This leaves me puzzled.....cannot find his service record,his medal index card or a later death certificate in either Scottish or U.K. records thus far.Likewise cannot find these records for his wife my grandmother,who supposedly went into a hospital after a nervous breakdown.
    Last edited by mentorscotus; 19-02-2009 at 4:35 PM. Reason: spelling error

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12