anndot

Default 70 the Foot Regiment

can any one help please with details about 70th foot regiment dates bewteen 1825 -1847 a relative served in that regiment and was 40 when he was discharged
    many thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me as if you've found him in the National Archives catalogue (WO 97 probably).

If so, have you not ordered his documents? Many people find that they give as much information as is needed but if you have any specific questions about the content of his papers, please shout and we'll try and answer.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Sounds to me as if you've found him in the National Archives catalogue (WO 97 probably).
    It's mentioned on this thread

Anndot - if you use a search engine and enter '70th regiment foot' you'll get some hits that will tell you a bit about the regiment whilst you wait for his discharge document to arrive.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    It's mentioned on this thread
    I see.

the 70th where based in In Ireland , West indies, Canada, Malta , Gibraltar and India,(also Guernsey & Kingston upon Thames- depot companys)
    I can let you have a full list of dates and deployment if required

Super Moderator

I am sure it was the 70th that my Great Grandfather served with. (Have to check this one).
    He married in Ireland (Kildare) and my Grandfather was born there in 1861.

His other children were born in various places while Gr. Grandfather was still with the Army:
    John Samuel, Clifton, Bristol, 1854, Frederick - Gibraltar 1857, Kate, Portsea 1859, Theodosia, Guildford 1863. He then retired to Rhyl in North Wales. So the 70th of Foot moved around a bit!

they where in India for 12 years(during the Mutiny) (1850-1861) - and 5 years in New Zealand (1861-1866)