Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jessica1877

Default My North and South Roots include Aspden, Steer, Topham, Steel, Robinson...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I have already begun to correspond with some people to do with my northern roots.

I would love to know if anyone shares the following surnames and locations in their tree:

Northern tree (Areas of Blackburn, Lancashire Yorkshire Borders, and Scottish Borders(Dobson/Bunyan)>>

Paternal Grandfathers tree:
    Walmsley, Hacking, Dobson, Bunyan, Halstead, Rushton, Manley, Holt

Paternal grandma's tree:
    Aspden, Wood, Jepson, Grimshaw, Chippendale, Duckworth, Clayton, Margerison

The rest of my tree (covering North to South West)

Maternal Grandfathers tree: (Surrey/Somerset/Devon/South London)
    Steer, Wells, Grinstead, Russell, Weller, Fowler, Southy/Smart, Mills,
    (Feeney, Byrne (Irish!),
    Clapp, Carter, Forward, Webb, Dyke, Denyer, Mitchener,

Maternal grandmothers tree: (Hampshire/Surrey/Suffolk/Norfolk/Essex/
    Liverpool/Cheshire/Manchester/Northumberland/Cumberland/Westmoreland)

Steel, Naylor, Denton, Paine, Bedford, Coe, Snell, Robinson, Atkinson, Fothergill, Hitchens, Sutton, Ellis, Lightfoot, Ratcliffe,

Topham, Bowman, Stoddart, Bell, Scott, Wilkinson, Gunsun, Perry, Cash, Wilson, Smith, Liscow

I look forward to hearing from you

Take care

Bye for now

Jessica S Fox

Jessica1877

Default Thanks

Dear Bo,

Thank you for your message. I noticed your are from Cornwall and I thought I'd ask about the surname Clapp.

I wonder does the Clapp name originate in Cornwall?

The oldest Clapps on my tree were born in Tiverton, Devon but there's no reason why many generations earlier, if Clapp is a Cornish name, they were originally from Cornwall. Of course, you may live in Truro but you might not be originally Cornish but if you are Cornish I wonder if you can help me.

Amongst all the various interesting stories and paths I've wondered down in my research, I have always hoped I would find a Cornish connection because my mum and I love Cornwall so much, having holidayed there since summer 2001. (Although we haven't managed to get down there for the past 3 years!)

When I get to a computer, a day hardly goes by without me visiting sennen-cove.com to see the daily images which they have there, which are often beautiful snapshots of the local coast, country and local events. It keeps me sane!

The reason I think there might be a Cornish connection to the Clapp surname is because I 'googled' Clapp and found one entry on some website that appeared to give it's definition as being:

'Cornish for chatty, tonguey'

As I only found this one referance, so far, I have to wonder if it's accurate or not (the interenet can be inaccurate!!) but I hope it is and maybe it may lead to some discovery of Cornish roots.

If you do know anything of the Clapp name either in Cornwall or Devon, I'd be most interested to learn more.

Take care

Bye for now

Jessica S Fox

v.wells

What Wells do you have? We are Kent, Lambeth, Lewisham, Bromley, Deptford, Hadlow

Jessica1877

Default Clapps

Dear Pam,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know much about Cornish Clapps but I wonder if my Devon Clapps are connected?

Well, I've got to dash off but I'll write again soon

Bye for now

Jess

Jessica1877

Default Wells....

Dear Vanessa,

I have one Wells on my tree;

Thomas Steer married Mary Wells in 1560 I think, if I recall right, in Bletchingly, Surrey.

Any connection you may have would be most interesting

Bye for now

Jess

v.wells

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica1877 View Post
    Dear Vanessa,

I have one Wells on my tree;

Thomas Steer married Mary Wells in 1560 I think, if I recall right, in Bletchingly, Surrey.

Any connection you may have would be most interesting

Bye for now

Jess
    Too bad not the right one, Jess. Thanks for letting me know

Danno

Hi Jessica

I usually do a quick search around the forums, and up came two of the names on your list.
    William Walmsley married Martha Ann Rushworth 1877
    Rushworth to Halstead circa 1770's around Colne.

Let me know if I this ring any bells.

Take care
    Danno

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica1877 View Post
    Maternal grandmothers tree: (Hampshire/Surrey/Suffolk/Norfolk/Essex/
    Liverpool/Cheshire/Manchester/Northumberland/Cumberland/Westmoreland)
    Steel, Naylor, Denton, Paine, Bedford, Coe, Snell, Robinson, Atkinson, Fothergill, Hitchens, Sutton, Ellis, Lightfoot, Ratcliffe,
    Where are your "Naylors" from? I have a huge brickwall with "my" Naylors! My maternal grandfather was Joshua Naylor born 1878 in Manchester. However, after much searching it came to light that he was really Joshua Owen - his birth certificate gives his father as George Owen, mother May, formerly Naylor. Many years of searching later - and I am no further forward!

Jessica1877

Default Hello

Dear Danno,

Thank you for your email.

I don't have all the details of my Halsteads on my tree but I think the name Martha's come up, I'll have to check.

Was Martha Ann Rushworth later/previous know as Martha Ann Halstead or is Rushworth a place and I'm confused?

Anyway, I think if she's a Halstead she could be a relation of my Halsteads.

This is my tree as far as the Halsteads are concerned:

Joseph------Elizabeth Adam-----Isabella
    Halstead Rushton Dobson Bunyan ((from Scottish borders))
    |
    Jane -----------James Dobson
    Halstead
    |
    Martha Ann Dobson
    b.1880

I'll fill in more dates later as I have to rush for now

Bye for now

Jessica

Danno

Hi Jessica

I just re-read my post , it looked a bit vague even to me when I read it again, sorry about that , I must have had my mind somewhere back in the time when things were 'Black & White', or at least pre-colour photography.

I'll track backward from William Walmsley. b. 1852, Newtown, Syd, Aust.
    married Martha Ann Rushworth. b. 30 Jan 1855

Martha Ann is the daughter of Alice Rushworth (nee Simpson) &
    Joshua Rushworth, married in Lancashire, 1854

Joshua is the son of George Rushworth.b circa 1802 &
    married to Martha Halstead in 1823 n Barnoldswick.
    Martha died circa 1845

Martha is the daughter of John Halstead & Martha Kippax, who was baptised in 1769, Colne. & Married to John Halstead in 1770's, Bartholomews, Colne.

I was stumped by the baptism year & the year of marriage for a while, but I remembered reading somewhere on the forums, 'from memory', that some people are Baptised at birth, and others at a later time, I learnt something new , which is a good sign in my books.

Be well, stay safe, big smile, etc,etc
    Cheers
    Danno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast