Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMS Hunter

Donna Y

Default HMS Hunter

Hello all, I hope I'm doing this right because this is my first posting. I'm trying to find out some information on my great uncle who was on board the HMS Hunter when it sank 10th April 1940. My great uncle's name was Horace Yate (able seaman) and from what I've found out so far he was married and aged 33 when he died. My father can remember him and also remembers when he went missing but nobody in the family knew he had got married.

If anybody has any information on either the HMS Hunter or on my great uncle then I would be extremely grateful and so would my family.

Many thanks Donna

Jan1954

Hello Donna and welcome to Brit-Gen

You may find this of interest:

https://www.wartimememoriesproject.co...ips/hunter.php

All the best,

MarkJ

Would this be the chap in question (details from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website) -

Name: YATE, HORACE ALFRED VICTOR
    Initials: H A V
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Navy
    Unit Text: H.M.S. Hunter
    Date of Death: 10/04/1940
    Service No: D/J 107371
    Additional information: Son of John Arthur and Elizabeth Yate; husband of Beatrice Ellen Yate, of Swilly, Plymouth.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 38, Column 3.
    Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

The above details list his wife as being Beatrice Ellen and other useful information.

Mark

Donna Y

Thanks for replies and yes Mark J that is the chap in question, I wonder when they got married and if they had any children before he died would be very interesting to know and if I have any relatives left in the Plymouth area.

Geoffers

HMS Hunter - Destroyer. 1,340 tons, 34,000SHp, 4 x 4.7in guns
    Officer Commanding Lt. de Villiers
    2nd Destroyer Flotilla, Mediterranean.
    Commissioned at Malta 1938.

Geoffers

GRO marriage index:
    1930 Dec
    YATE, Horace A V
    surname of spouse, ROBINSON
    Plymouth
    vol 5b page 528

Do double check for yourself in case I have made an error in transcription.

Children may still be alive, so I won't post full details here, but check the GRO index of births for:
    Mar 1933
    Dec 1935
    (There look t be just the two but again check for yourself in case I have missed any)

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Him Donna and welcome to the Forum.
    HMS Hunter sank as a result of a collision with HMS Hotspur.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Donna Y

Default Many thanks

I would just like to say thank you all so far for the replies and Geoffers you really have thrown up some interesting things which I have passed onto my dad and uncles, would it be possible to give some more information of the children of Horace and Beatrice please if its not too much trouble?

Many thanks again. x

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Y View Post
    would it be possible to give some more information of the children of Horace and Beatrice please if its not too much trouble?
    Not on a public form - the people concerned may still be alive and for any of many reasons, it would be wrong to include such detail here.

yatevictor

Default Horace Alfred Victor Yate. H.M.S.HUNTER

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Y View Post
    I would just like to say thank you all so far for the replies and Geoffers you really have thrown up some interesting things which I have passed onto my dad and uncles, would it be possible to give some more information of the children of Horace and Beatrice pleasIe if its not too much trouble?

Many thanks again. x
    Dear Donna,

I am the son of H.A.V.Yate.

Please let me have your e mail address and I will let you have all the information I have - including a rather poignant visit to the site of the sunken wreck at the head of Narvik fiord.

Please contact me via private message.

Vic Yate.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 18-06-2008 at 5:19 PM. Reason: Email and telephone number removed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast