Thread: POW in Italy

worrals

Post POW in Italy

I am researching my great uncle Pte Eric Goodwin of 2/5 Essex Regiment. He was captured at Deir El Shein in Egypt on 1 July 1942. Eric was taken to Italy and the only camp I know he was in for certain is PG 53 Sforza Costa near Macerata.
    This was Erics last camp. He escaped in 1943 at the time of the armistice. He remained at large until 2 November 1944 when he and a South African soldier L. bdr J J J Le Roux were betrayed to the Fascists and were shot as they cycled along a road at Campolongo Maggiore. They are buried at CWGC cemetery at Padua.
    I have been trying to find out about the South African soldier, Erics camp in Italy and more about their killing but have had no luck.
    I have tried the Red Cross archives and National Archives and Essex Regiment museum.
    Hoping someone on this forum can help.
    Worrals.

Geoffers

Have you tried the sources mentioned in this research guide?

worrals

Smile

Hi Geoffers,
    I have some information from the National Archives but I will try the suggestions
    As Eric was killed they don't have much information.
    At the end of the war the circumstances of their deaths were investigated as originally they had been buried by local people in Maggiore and reinterred after the war at Padua.
    So far I have not found any paperwork relating to this.
    Thanks
    Worrals.

Default INFORMATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by worrals View Post
    Hi Geoffers,
    I have some information from the National Archives but I will try the suggestions
    As Eric was killed they don't have much information.
    At the end of the war the circumstances of their deaths were investigated as originally they had been buried by local people in Maggiore and reinterred after the war at Padua.
    So far I have not found any paperwork relating to this.
    Thanks
    Worrals.
    Dear worrals, I have informations about Eric Goodwin from Essex. I have reference on one soldier name Eric Goodwin Essex Rgt. matr. 6016185, that came out from PG 120/XVII camp Ponte San Nicoḷ (Padova) and was hidden by a local family name Cellini from 13.09.1943 to 09.11.1943. On 20.11.1943 he had been taken by Fascist police. Best regards