Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MythicalMarian

Default Using a scanned 'image' in a signature

Could our copyright experts help on the following:

I have been toying with the idea of using my own scanned image of my 4xgreat grandfather's signature as part of a signature for this forum. I had purchased a photocopy of the bond and allegation from his marriage licence in 1762 from the Cheshire Record Office years ago and have recently scanned the whole thing into my computer. Would snipping the tiny bit with his signature on and posting it in a signature be an infringement?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Mutley

If there is a possibility that your 4xgreat grandfather may not agree with your idea then maybe you should not .....

Alan Welsford

I think MythicalMarian is just showing off about having a 4 * great grandparent who could produce a signature.

I'm pretty confident that not even any of my 2 * great grandmarents could manage anything that complex.

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Welsford View Post
    I think MythicalMarian is just showing off about having a 4 * great grandparent who could produce a signature.

I'm pretty confident that not even any of my 2 * great grandmarents could manage anything that complex.
    Aw - I wasn't - honest! It's such a sweet, neat signature. His brother's is a bit of a scrawl

To be serious, I can't get over the fact that he married by licence. We have always been ordinary folk, you know. So - I take it from your display of facetiousness, you two, that I would only be infringing John's sense of privacy

Jan1954

I have an indenture upon which is, not only the signature of my 4 x great grandfather, but also a seal with his likeness from his signet ring. Closest thing I'll ever get to a photo..

But to get back to MythicalMarian's original query, it was your 4 x great grandfather who would be the one to lodge a complaint, and I don't think he'll be doing that now. So - go for it! (We all want to see it anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Welsford View Post

Come on Alan, it could be the same as the rest of ours a 'X'.

Marian - why don't you use it as your avatar instead, reduce it to the appropriate size.

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Come on Alan, it could be the same as the rest of ours a 'X'.
    Blimey! Yours could manage an 'X'! Stop showing off now!

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    To be serious, I can't get over the fact that he married by licence. We have always been ordinary folk, you know.
    Depends if it was a common licence or special licence

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    So - I take it from your display of facetiousness, you two, that I would only be infringing John's sense of privacy
    I should imagine as 'old John' had managed to sign his name when many others could not he would be proud to see it reproduced.

MythicalMarian

Well - I can't seem to add a signature in my CP - there doesn't seem to be the option. I have tried to make it an avatar but it's not working just yet.

You see - he may be annoyed....

Mutley

He has forgiven you, it's tiny but is there as your avatar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast