Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    elizabethjones1

Default Giles Soper 1828

Here I go again! Don't really know were to post this as there is a Russian connection.My G/G Grandfather Giles Ching(?) Soper b1828 went to Russia maybe as an Architect to work on the Tsar's Winter Palace He was married to Emma Eldford (b1862 ) around 1850 and had 2 children in Ivanofsky near St Petersburg I think! How can I find who would have been working on the Palace at that time have searched a lot of sites but nonames of who worked on it.Fingers crossed Eliza.

AnnB

Hello Eliza

I have been Googling and found that The State Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg (which includes the Winter Palce as part of its complex) has a very intesting web site. There is a 'feedback' link on the site where you can post a request for information - might be worth an enquiry? Sorry if you have already seen the site.

Best wishes
    Ann

g_soper

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm a bit late in responding, but I've just joined

I guess Giles's two Russian children that you mentioned were Alfred Soper b.c1861 & Emma Soper b.c1863 both b.Odessa, Russia [age 10 & 8 in '71cen]

I see Giles Ching Soper baptised 3 children more children later when he return to Russia, at St Petersburg [from ]www.
    bmdregisters.co.uk

Mary Ann Soper bapt.1884 [was she b.12 Sep 1881?]
    Arthur Tyson Soper bapt.1885 &
    Bessie Emily Soper bapt.1888

'Tyson' keeps going the family tradition for interesting middle mames

There is also the burial records in Russia for Giles Ching Soper bur.1894 & Anne bur.1899 [assume Ann Otten, 2nd wife/partner?]

I'm no relation, but I'd be fascinated in what these certificates say, like if he really was architecting interesting buildings when there & where Ann was born.

He seems to have had an exiting life & got around, have you picked up on this Australian entry?
    Giles Ching Soper a builder of 5 Bernett? St, a house in St Francis Division, Melbourne, Victoria, 1856 Electorial Rolls [from www.
    ancestry.com] : [I guess the electoral roll mention means he was not just visiting]
    Last edited by MarkJ; 02-02-2011 at 4:09 PM. Reason: Commercial links edited. Please read the AUP

elizabethjones1

Hi it's me back after 5 yrs goodness knows if you'll pick this up but a huge thank you for giving me so much info hope we can chat Liz

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There is what appears to be a costly divorce between Giles SOPER & his wife Emma, it lists the children of the marriage and the date that Giles an 'engineer' went to Russia

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

The London Gazette has 2 entries under "ching soper" - described as a "gas engineer, smith and ironmonger".

Also, a warm welcome back.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have been rummaging around looking for an xcel s/sheet template to use for a client's accounts and stumbled across a family tree template, which I 'saved to re visit with a view of seeing how it could help in FH!

What I did remember was the name .... the tree starts at 1785 with a John SOPER containing a lot of information, I have pn'd this to elizabethjones1 ( orig poster)

Maybe Elizabeth will let us know what progress she has made.

Anyone wants to look / have a copy of it t in box me.

I still cannot work out how it is construct as I get carried away looking at the detail

CHING is a surname and connected to the SOPER's

g_soper

Since your message Elizabeth, I also stumbled on these 2 enigmas...

"Tyson Soper, a European tourist fined 50 rupees for intimidating a European tradesman in Calcutta, with a loaded revolver. The defendant said he was allowed to carry a revolver in Russia & asked why he should not in Calcutta; 'Straits Times' (Singapore) 14 May 1908, from news.bl.uk : [perhaps Arthur Tyson Soper (1885-1927) bpt.at their St Petersburg house to Giles Ching Soper?] I don't see any other mention of a Tyson Soper & it does seem to fit-in well with this interesting family.

I also spotted an Edward Robert James Soper & Margaret Blyth Guthrie had son Harold b.25 Oct 1901 Chefoo, China; Edward, a St Petersburg englishman, railway engineer at Dalney, China (in connection with 2 Symondsons' dredger boats). He spoke perfect Russian & entered employ of Russian Gov; He d.May 1904 escaping Dalney in his 20ft yacht before Japanese invaded. His 2 Russian refugees passengers said he fell overboard, but foul-play suspected. [perhaps a son of Giles?? Could he be Giles b.1851 or Edwin b.1853 under alias?? (Giles links? an Englishman/fluent Russian/St Petersburg engineer/had a Hampshire-built boat) An enigma with no link to any records]

Here's a link to a biog of Giles, (hopefully not too many mistakes, it was slapped-together quickly)
    https://tinyurl.com/j3puxxu
    (give it a minute to load). Perhaps you, or others, can link-in the guys above?

Famous for offering help & advice

the 1918 US Draft Registration document for Arthur Tyson Soper says he was manager of "Moscow Copper Rolling Mills & Cable Works Company" of Moscow. (apologies if you already knew that)

g_soper

That's news to me, thanks wimsey; His elder brother moved from the Basingstoke workhouse age 5, to a being a wealthy Minnesota car-racing doctor.

& I now can google a photo of Arthur Tyson Soper (1885-1927); with presumably more family details behind ancestry's paywall; Wonder if he ever called himself Tyson? (to help the link, Arthur T's grfather & uncle were gunmakers, so before the age of the confiscated nail-file, Giles might travel tooled-up? & his son globe-trot passportless, on an alias?)

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...h=Web+Property

----------

Elizabeth; you might like to email Leeds University & see if a student has yet scanned a 46 page book in their Russian Archive, by Giles's youngest dau; Bessie Emily Brand (née Soper) (1887-1982) "a member of British community in pre-revolutionary Russia; 'Bessie Brand's Memoir of Russia, 1956', contains family tree, photos of Brand & Soper families & of Russian cities". It might be fascinating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast