Thread: FARMERS

lynda bolton

Question FARMERS

My Dowsons side were farmers in Hamsterley Durham. I have been advised by Geoffers to look at Tythe comutations and maps. What exactly is a Tythe comutation? I am going to Durham register office next week and want to sound like I know what Im doing at least? Somebody please help quickly.

jeeb

Default Tithe Commutation

Hi Lynda,
    The Tithe Commutation Act came into force in 1836. Basically people were expected to pay 10% of their income in money or kind for the upkeep of the parish. The tithe maps were then drawn up to show who owned what and who lived where and can in many cases be very detailed. They often show who owned a property as well as who tenanted it. Fields are shown and who farmed them so if you have farmer ancestors they can be very informative.

Jeremy

Geoffers

And using that information, you can trace what has happened to the land since - and whether or not any houses still stand from the period. A good resourfce to help is GIS on Durham Archives web-site

The tithe commutation returns also give an idea of a spread of a family locally.

As with many things connected with research, TNA's guides help to explain things. Have a look at this link which is quite short, and then click on the 'Tithe Records' link at the bottom of the screen.

lynda bolton

Thumbs up geoffers

Thankyou for your info re Tythes. It was very informative. Ill now know what Im talking about at Durham on Wednesday.

lynda bolton

Thumbs up jeeb

Thankyou very much for your reply. I feel happy now that I will Know what Im talking about .