Thread: Thorburn family

Starting to feel at home

Default Thorburn family

I am looking for any info on Thorburn family in Troqueer. Were also at times in Dumfries. David James Staig Thorburn b.Dec.31 1805 in Troqueer. Married Louisa Thorn Smet d. of John Francis Smet July 22 1832 in Coldstream. David was a a medical doctor who graduated from U. of Edin. 1827. Also spent some time in India as a doctor through the East India Co. Looking for any info on parents---I think a Rev. W. Thorburn and also a sister Lilias Staig Thorburn.
    Any help greatly Appreciated.

Elaine

macro

Default T. Thorburn

Hi Elaine, I haven't got any info for you but you may have some for me? I have Antonia Stewart Macgowan from Kirkcudbright m: 11 Dec 1833 to T. Thorburn in Manchester.
    Thanks
    Roger Macgowan

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello Elaine, I have just "Googled" Dr. James Thorburn & up came several pages re- him. Seems to be from Toronto ,tho' could have originated from UK. Was educated in Edinburgh.

Next I added Scotland to the Google & different pages came up.

pm on the way.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Starting to feel at home

Hello Roger,

sorry I am just replying to your message now. I was without intermet for awhile. I don't think that is a Thorburn that I am looking for. In the early 1800's most of my Thorburn's seemed to up in Scotland --there were a lot of them. And I have not come across the name McGowan before.
    Nice to hear from you.

Elaine

Starting to feel at home

Hello endy,

Just seeing your query now. As far as I know I have no Thorburn's who were in Toronto. Most of them stayed in England or Scotland. My ggrandmother's maiden name was Thorburn and I believe she was the only one to come to Canada. Nice to hear from you.

Elaine

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have Rev William's will 1849 available on Scotland's people? Also 2 male births 1834-1836 to David and Louisa in Dumfries.

Starting to feel at home

Hello grisel,

Yes I do have Rev. William"s will. And also know of both those births. Both births died young and were also named the same --John Francis Smet Thorburn. The first was born Dec 20 1833 d. Feb 22 1835 and the second B Feb 6 1836 and d. Feb 21 1838. Both are on a monument inscription in Troqueer Churchyard.
    Elaine