Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Steve Abley

Hi Jackie,
    Thanks for the offer of looking at your pdf. I don't want to sound ungrateful but my research is mostly on the Abley line except where it crosses into other families like Wildy then I will research parents and list siblings of the person marrying into the Abley's, I might have made that sound more complicated than it is!
    I found both the research and the story behind Thomas Wildy and that of his father Benjamin fasinating and will continue to enrich it as I uncover new facts. That said I would love to have a photo of Ellen as she is direct offspring of Mary Ann Abley.
    As far as my thoughts on Romany links, I am leaning toward the nays on this. Benjamin a labourer all his life was recorded in 1841/51/61 and 71 census as living in the Stroud area. There is no doubt that Thomas travelled especially in his early years selling his umbrellas but also I think to escape from his first marriage. Later settling down in Cincil Street, Lincoln where he died.

By the way how do you go offlist?
    Steve

kerryb

Hi Jackie

I too have this family in my ancestry. One of their daughters Helena or sometimes Lorraine married James Harmer my 2 x grandfather. I am currently working on trying to find birth certificates for all the children and I am beginning to wonder whether there are actually 3 different sets of children. Helena and William have Emily as Emily Rawlins (yet another surname to contend with!) the later children seem to be John and Emilys.

I am awaiting Bertha's birth certificate to see what that says but as Emily was at home with her father for the 1861 census I just wonder if John was actually 'married' to someone else for the older children?

So far I have only ever managed to find a baptism for Florence/Flora in 1870, none of the other children seem to have been baptised.

Anyway I would be glad to hear your comments.

Kerry

Hayley01

Default Stanford/Chalfont

Hi im also trying to trace family that were travellers, My mum was born in 1931 her father was George Stanford mother Florence Emily Stanford formally Chalfont, I know her father was a hawker and that my mum was born in Tunbridge Wells (Tunbridge rurrall).

Can anyone relate to this in any way?
    Last edited by Jan1954; 29-01-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Details of living person removed

Hayley01

Hi im related to the Stanfords they are Romany Gypsys, My mus mum and dad were Floence emily Stanford and her dad George Stanford, he later had a second marriage to Ann Stanford, im am trying to look up the family history as well so any help would be much appreciated.

jackiewing2000

Message for Kerry. After a year, had a Eureka moment -just been in touch with the grand daughter of Jessie Lovekin/Smith. Although she is in her 80's now - she said, yes, she has always known she has Romany ancestry. Looks as though our theory with all the clues was correct!

kerryb

Hi Jackie

One to put on the back burner for now then. every so often I get this family out again and chip away at it but at least we can understand why we can't solve it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley01 View Post
    Hi im related to the Stanfords they are Romany Gypsys, My mus mum and dad were Floence emily Stanford and her dad George Stanford, he later had a second marriage to Ann Stanford, im am trying to look up the family history as well so any help would be much appreciated.
    Any member able to help Hayley please post on this thread where she has received a lot of information.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...unbridge-Wells

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12