Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ProspectHill

My g-g-grandfather was Henry Clay A., and his son was Henry Clay A. jr., in honor of a USA senator. There is a woman in the family book named Cinderella A. Wish I had thought of that when I was a new Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Can't see anything like that happening today...
    Sadly it's a sign of the times. Instead of being named after famous politicians or battles (I don't think there was a rise in popularity of the name Stanley in 1982 but I may be wrong) the fashion in names comes from TV programmes. The Darrens and Samanthas (remember 'Bewitched'?) are probably grandparents now, and the Kylies are reaching motherhood too.

There is an interesting link to the most popular male and female names in countries around the world at
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_popular_given_names

One phenomenon I find interesting is the traditional short forms of names. My son was christened James because it went better with his middle names but we wanted to call him Jamie, and did for the first three years of his life. When he went to nursery he decided he wanted to be James and has been ever since - not one of his friends has shortened it to Jim or Jamie. He has friends called Richard and William but they never get called Dick or Bill. However, for several years now the most popular boy's name has been Jack. Very few of the parents using this name know that it was the familiar form of John. Similarly Harry and Charlie have become popular names in their own right.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

SBSFamilyhistory

Parents should be shot for some of the names they give their children..

I know of children with thw following names and not I have not made them up. and no this is not an April Fool

Diamond White
    Brittany Beech
    London Experience and then her last name
    Princess Diana then her last name
    Baby, when this was questioned we were told, he will be able to choose his name when he gets old enough!

to name but a few..

Sue

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    Parents should be shot for some of the names they give their children..

I know of children with thw following names and not I have not made them up. and no this is not an April Fool

Diamond White
    Brittany Beech
    London Experience and then her last name
    Princess Diana then her last name
    Baby, when this was questioned we were told, he will be able to choose his name when he gets old enough!

to name but a few..

Sue
    Yep - and although Bob Geldof has much to commend him, his choice of names for his daughters is disgraceful - every one reads likes a cat's pedigree:

Fifi Trixie-Belle
    Peaches - something (can't remember)
    Pixie - something ditto
    And the last unfortunate half-sister: Heavenly Irana Tiger Lily.

There is a trend lately for Apple and Poppy - vile! And what about the Phoenix clan? River, Leaf, Summer etc. At least Leaf has reverted to Joachin.

I am still to this day a great fan of the legendary Mr. David Bowie - and although he was as mad as any other 70s rock star, David gave his son the name of Zowie to rhyme with Bowie, but also the middle name of Duncan to use when he grew up. As Bowie's real surname is Jones, it is not surprising to find young Zowie now actually calls himself Duncan Jones. Unlike the kids of Frank Zappa born in the 60s who still call themselves Dweezil and Moon-Unit (the latter being a girl!)

Hats off to good old Rik Mayall for naming one of his sons Sidney. I love the old-fashioned names, and gladly they are making a comeback.

As for footballers - our super Frankie Lampard named his daughter Luna Lampard - to me that sounds like a drag act!

ProspectHill

Smile A fun wizard

https://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html
    type in your name or that of your least favorite cousin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12