Anne W

Default Births in Gravesend

How would I go about finding birth records for Gravesend in the 1780's? I'm trying to establish if John Waite and William Waite , who end up living within a couple of miles of one another at Sutton Forest New South Wales in the 1830's, were brothers.
    There is quite alot of info on the net about John Waite. Most web-sites have him as being born 1781 in Gravesend, parents John Waite and Charlotte Wilkins. I need to find William if I can. His children were all born in Kent.
    Here's hoping
    Anne

Stuman

Ann

You could try searching the parish registers. They may be found online at
    www.cityark.medway.gov.uk

As they are just filmed copies of original registers it takes some trawling.

Stuart

Anne W

Thanks for that Stuart. I'll do some trawling and see what I can find. NSW death notices has John's parents as William J and Charlotte and William's as John and Mary, but I don't know how reliable the informants were. All the genealogy charts I've seen on the net have John's parents as John and Charlotte and William not related at all.
    I have a very old pedigree chart that my Aunt got from a descendant of John Waite in the 1960s. This gentleman, who lived in New Zealand and was very old when my Aunt was in contact with him, was John Waites ggrandson. This chart has John and William as brothers, parents John Waite and Charlotte Wilkins.
    The only way to sort it out is to try and find Williams birth record. I'll give it a go!
    Anne

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Anne W,

I'm a decendent of John Waite and am interested in finding further information about John Waite, William John Waite, Charlotte (Philips) Wilkins and James Henry Waite (b 1838 Sutton Forrest d 1906 Albury) and his wife Elizabeth Williams

Thankyou Paul