Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jolly Roger

Default William Newman Thomson = Laura Brown

I am looking for any living family of the about.
    Laura Brown went to New Zealand on holiday in 1912 and met either on voyage or there William , married him in 1913 , shee died 1932 and he remarried.
    But i know of two children Mary born 1914 but she had no children as far s I know, Also a Betty Thomson, and she had children. I have a letter Ifound in papers well after my parents died, from1991 from betty but No surname so I don't know married name.
    So how do I go about loooking for any living Realatives in New Zealand?

Jolly Roger

A fountain of knowledge

Next step is find the 2nd marriage in the BMD indexes. This will give her name.
    Then its a simple troll through the Birth indexes to find any possible children from either marriage (or are you only after Laura's children?).
    Then you could put an advertisement in the local woman's weekly.
    Unless somebody beats me to the task I will endeavour to do a search for you this weekend.

Jolly Roger

I am really looking for the children of Betty, she was living in Wakatipau, new Zealand in August 1991.
    I don't think she will still be alive now, but.......
    As I said perviously I don't know her married name.

Thanks Jolly Roger

A fountain of knowledge

Will have a look this weekend for Betty and children.

A fountain of knowledge

I have some good news and some bad news.
    The bad news is that the worlds population of Thomson's all reside in NZ

The good news is that I have found the marriage of Betty.
    Thomson, Betty 1938 NZMIndex 1004 married Thomson, Leslie Lyndon
    (Thats all you need for a marriage cert)

I have also found Thomson, Mary Ellen Joyce NZBIndex 3967, Inglewood 1914 Sept Q.

No births for Betty between 1910 - 1919
    Lots of Elizabeths but none born in Inglewood. Therefore they must have moved shortly afterwards.
    (I can supply all the names if wanted).

Next I have searched some of the electoral rolls but cannot find Betty or Leslie. However Betty may be using her birth name.

Can you give me any more information on Betty's real name, previous addresses etc. (also parents)
    If I can track her movements I might be able to find her children.
    The other bad bit of news is that the mothers name is not recorded on hte index's until 1956.

(Consider this part payment to those other kind souls who have done free research for me)

A fountain of knowledge

Additional information NZ archives https://archway.archives.govt.nz/BriefDescItemSearch.do

William Newman Thomson
    THOMSON William Newman - Christchurch - Draper 1964 - 1964

agency series accession box / item record part alternative no.
    CAHX 2989 CH171 CH 432/64
    OPEN ACCESS
    Anyone can order & view this Record from the following office, please quote the Archives Reference (see above) or print this page.
    (Record must be ordered & viewed in this office)
    Archives New Zealand, Christchurch Regional Office
    PO Box 642
    90 Peterborough Street
    Christchurch
    Ph: 03 377 0760
    Fax: 03 365 2662
    Email: [email protected]

And a search for Betty.

THOMSON Iris Betty
    1986 1986 Department for Courts, Auckland High Court O Akld

Christchurch Divorce Files
    Sheard, Kenneth v Sheard, Betty Allison and Thomson, Graeme Bruce [includes marriage certificate]
    1978 1978 Christchurch High Court R Chch
    Thomson, Betty Christine v Thomson, Gary Michael [includes marriage certificate]
    1981 1981 Christchurch High Court R Chch

Miscellaneous Canterbury Education Board material including salary cards, photographs and plans
    Salary card for THOMSON Betty Ernestine [nee RICHARDSON]
    1949 1949 Residual Management Unit, Canterbury Education Board O Chch

Either Betty remarried or her Will has not gone through Probate.

Jolly Roger

Hi Chisel,

Thanks for this information, much appriecated, As it is my birthday today 1st March, I have just come on to see my mails, but i will have a look tomorrow (Sunday) and see what else I can glean out of the only letter I can find from Betty posted 9th August 1991, my dad actually died on 10th ugust that year, so I expect my mam wrote and told her and stopped writing as betty was dads side of family.

But Thank you very very much for what you have got for me.
    Jolly Roger

A fountain of knowledge

If you use the link provided previously, you will find a lot of Elizabeth Thomson records.
    I would suggest that either you provide me with a definate address so that I can possibly determine her real name in the electoral rolls.
    or
    You get a copy of her husbands will which will mention Betty's real name and hopefully all the children.
    Unfortunately I am too far from Christchurch to visit. So either contact them and pay about NZ$30 (10 pound) or try to contact a local to search for free.

I believe the will to be your best bet.

Also if I can locate Betty's real name through the census we will be able to estimate if/when she died. If I can find where she is buried and can contact the cemetery for you who will know which child buried her and will have contact details.

Jolly Roger

I would on this site give a big Thank you to Chisel he has gone out of his way to help me find the family I was asking about, to which I hope to get in touch with via e-mails.

So once again thank you for you time and help to me, in finding the family.
    And Betty's surname was Coombes.

Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Just to sy thank you to everyone who helped me mission accomplished, found the right family - Jolly Roger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast