Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    johngillespie

Default My mother would like to see the plate

Quote Originally Posted by suecul View Post
    Hi there. I'm not a Thomson relative, but I do have a connection in a round about way. My 3x great aunt Edith Martha Willis was the head of the millinery department at James Thomson's store in Emerson Street, Napier, NZ. She started working there in early 1892 and continued working through until Thomsons was bought by McGruers in (I think) 1915. Shortly after McGruers took over she opened her own millinery and ladies outfitters store in Emerson Street. She is mentioned in several adverts for the Thomson store that were placed in the Daily Telegraph (Napier) and Herald Tribune (Hastings). I hadn't long learnt of Edith Willis' connection with the Thomson store when I came across a plate issued by James P Thomson in 1898. I had to buy it as the picture on the plate is of his shop with the millinery department pictured in the front window. If anyone is interested I will photograph the plate and put it on this site. Kind regards, Sue
    please put the photo on or send it to [email protected]
    John Gillespie great grandson of James P thomson

johngillespie

here is the gravestone of J P Thomson and his second wife Edith
    https://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...pse84774eb.jpg

johngillespie

Default betty Coombes

Elizabeth Bruce Coombes Nee Thomson was last I heard in an old peoples home in Christchurch and survived the earthquakes.
    she is my mother's cousin.
    Mum is in contact with her son Bruce and will know more
    Mum's email address is [email protected]

John Gillespie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123