Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    johngillespie

Default uncle Will and Laura

William Newman Thomson was my great Uncle.
    Apparently he met Laura Brown shipboard on his way beck from a visit to Britain with his father James Porteous Thomson.
    Laura died well before I was born but I met Uncle Will once about 1960 at his house in Cashmere christchurch ( NZ )
    His Daughters Mary and Margaret didn't marry but occasional;ly stayed with us in Auckland .Elizabeth , the only one still alive married Frank Coombes but is widowed with 5 children the only one still alive in an old people's home in Christchurch.
    My mother is in contact with her son.

A fountain of knowledge

The best thig about the internet is that it never forgets and that queries can be found many years later (so long as you don't change your email address).

johngillespie

Default J P thomson

i see you ( chisel ) are from Hastings,
    You therefore may be more interested in laura brown's father in Law James porteous Thomson who owned a large shop in Emmerson St. Napier and for a time was a town councillor.
    His house in Cameron rd was called Willowbank.

i believe William Newman Thomson's half brother Colin Thomson is still alive and living in Hastings with his wfe Gillian.

If you are curious take a look at what i have posted about the family on ancestry.co.uk on a family tree called
    relatives of Devon John Davison Gillespie

Anything you are able to tell me will help.
    I believe that my grandmother lilias Porteous Thomson nursed her mother Catherine newman until she died of cancer- but was asked to leave when JP married Colin's mother Barbara Scott.

This complicated family means that my mother has Aunts and an uncle ( Colin above ) who are not much older than mum is.

john
    Last edited by Jan1954; 30-10-2012 at 3:28 PM. Reason: Link to Ancestry removed - please read the Terms of Service

A fountain of knowledge

Hi John, happy to do some searching for you. Have you tried looking in the an@#$%ry.com.au site under New Zealand Electoral Rolls? It shows that WNT moved around a bit. Will visit the library in the weekend to see what I can find and maybe even get you a photo of the house.
    The electoral rolls work wonderfully to find the right cemetery that they might be buried in.
    I've looked in the whitepages.co.nz but C&G don't show up so may be unlisted.
    If you have specific questions or want to contact linving relatives, please pm me and I'll see what we can do.

johngillespie

Default James porteous thomson

You are a star .
    I do have a picture of willowbank- but can't show it to you because I'm unsure how to paste photos here.
    I wonder if you can find any death notices for my great grandmother Catherine thomson ( Nee Newman ) 1861-1917.

There was a romantic story-
    JP thomson was sent by his draper father james from dalkeith to london to learn his trade-
    In a very short time J P became head buyer of fancy goods at John lewis in Oxford st ( unfortunately their personel records were destroyed by the luftwaffe )
    Catherine Newman's father was a publican in Wincanton but her sister Francis had a fancy goods shop in Wincantoin High st. francis sent her sister also to london to learn her trade and there met JP T.

after establishing himself in a shop which remained in the family for more than 100 year in Timaru JP sent for Catherine.
    After 3 months the ship arrives in view of littleton but the ship was sdriven away ( stories vary about whether it was the fickle winds of canterbury or industrial action after nearly two weeks catherine had decided that if he wasn't there to meet her she would turn around and go straight back.
    He was on the dock and whisked her straight into Christchurch and they got married by special license that day with witnesses from the street.

my email address should you need it is heathlands AT hotmail DOT com

john
    Last edited by Jan1954; 31-10-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to deter spammers

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by johngillespie View Post
    I do have a picture of willowbank- but can't show it to you because I'm unsure how to paste photos here.
    Hello John,

Have a read of this thread.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi John.
    Can you give me all the information Ie. Catherines FULL name (remember all the world Thomson's live in NZ). Do you have a death date other than 1917. The Napier and Hastings cemeteries don't show them. Who were their children?

johngillespie

Hi

James Porteous Thomson
    Birth 24 1859 oct in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
    Death 8 Feb 1950 in Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
    Edit this person

Marriage to Catherine Newman 1885
    19 March
    St. John's Church, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
    by special license on Catherine's arrival in NZ Rev HCM Watson officiating

Catherine Newman
    Birth 7 feb 1861 in Wincanton, Somerset, England
    Death 10 Nov 1917 in Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

They had two children
    Lilias Porteous Thomson ( my grandmother )
    Birth 25th August 1886 in Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand
    Death 1977 in Thames hospital-Thames, Waikato, New Zealand

William Newman Thomson
    Birth 28 Oct 1890 in Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
    Death 29 Sept 1964 in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand

Following Catherine's death JP thomson remarried
    Marriage to Barbara Edith Scott 5 mar 1919
    Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
    St. Pauls Presbyterian Church

and they had three children

Audrey Vivienne Thomson
    Birth
    Death in Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand as a small child

Margery Edith Thomson ( m Drummond then Fenwick )
    Birth 7 Nov 1923 in 15 Cameron rd, Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
    living in an old peoples home in auckland

Colin Scott Thomson
    Birth in New Zealand
    living in hawkes bay ( used to live at a house called 'Silver Ford' )

suecul

Default James P Thomson

Hi there. I'm not a Thomson relative, but I do have a connection in a round about way. My 3x great aunt Edith Martha Willis was the head of the millinery department at James Thomson's store in Emerson Street, Napier, NZ. She started working there in early 1892 and continued working through until Thomsons was bought by McGruers in (I think) 1915. Shortly after McGruers took over she opened her own millinery and ladies outfitters store in Emerson Street. She is mentioned in several adverts for the Thomson store that were placed in the Daily Telegraph (Napier) and Herald Tribune (Hastings). I hadn't long learnt of Edith Willis' connection with the Thomson store when I came across a plate issued by James P Thomson in 1898. I had to buy it as the picture on the plate is of his shop with the millinery department pictured in the front window. If anyone is interested I will photograph the plate and put it on this site. Kind regards, Sue

johngillespie

I hope this link shows the photo of Uncle Will's wedding. J P Thomson is stood next to the bride with his hand on his wife Catherine's shoulder My grandmother L P Thomson is seated next to her brother the groom.

https://s1304.photobucket.com/user/po...tml?sort=3&o=1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast