Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith/ Smet

Joanne Howard

Smile Smith/ Smet

I am searching for the parents of a Lt. Colonel Charles Hamilton Smith (Smet) (British Army , born 1776 in Flanders)
    , and his brother John Francis Smet (surgeon British Army). They had both British and Belgium Citizenship.
    They came from Enghien in Flanders, Belgium,
    I believe the father was a Puisne Judge (England I guess), but have reached a brickwall in finding out more about him.
    Any help gratefully received.
    With thanks,
    Joanne

Geoffers

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

I thought the name was familiar - we had someone else asking - have a look at this thread

Will of John Francis can be downloaded here

Could this will be related?

Perhaps this will is of your Charles although this chap is Charles Harvey SMITH who was recorded also as Lt.Col.

There is an entry for your chap on - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hamilton_Smith

There is a picture of him at the NPG

Joanne Howard

Default Smet/Smith -Joanne

Dear Geoffers,

Many thanks for your reply.
    I have been in contact with the other person searching the Smith/Smet relatives. She is the GGGGranddaughter of one of the brothers. I am the same of the other brother. Very exciting.
    Mine changed his name from Smet to Smith to protect family in Europe during the 1800's wars. I do not think the will of Charles Hervey belongs as my Charles died in 1859 in Plymouth, but I shall look up the will of the De Smet lady as it just could be their mother. Charles Hamilton was a Belgian and British subject.
    The father was supposed to have been a Puisne Judge and I think he may have also changed his name to Smith but of this I am not sure and I don't seem to be getting anywhere finding him.
    Many thanks again,
    Joanne.

Geoffers

There may be a certificate of baptism for your chap at TNA, Kew
    These were needed for anyone in government service. it seems that there are two main groups of these at TNA, 1755-1908 in WO42 and 1777-1868 in WO32/8903-8920

WO42 also includes certificates of marriage and some births of children.

Joanne Howard

Default Smet/Smith

Dear Geoffers,

Thank you again for your help on my Smith/Smet relative. I have visited the British Library and obtained a little more information and now will certainly make time to go to Kew to the National Archives.
    With regards,
    Joanne.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Joannne,

I've also been researching Charles Hamilton and John Francis Smith for my family tree. I've been really struggling with it.. I hoped you could help me with it.

literally any piece of information would be amazing

I look forward to your reaction.

kind regards,

Giancarlo DeSmet

sorry for my English i'm not a native speaker*

Joanne Howard

Dear Giancarlo,

I am happy to share information with you regarding Charles Hamilton Smith and John Francis Smet. (John didn’t change his name, it was only Charles).

Do you have a connection to them?

I have been unable all this time to find either of their dates of birth.

John Francis went to the University of Louvain (Leuven) and attained his MB in 1793 and became a surgeon on HM 8th Dragoons.
    I have his will dated 1839.

Charles Hamilton Smith died in 1859 in Plymouth and I have a Probate reference for this.

What information would you like or what do you already have?

With best wishes,

Joanne.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Howard View Post
    The Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Vol 53 has Charles born at Vrommen-hofen in East Flanders (then an Austrian province) on 26th December 1776.

The deaths column in the North Devon Journal of 1st October 1840 gives John's age at death as 68, so a birth year of about 1772. I can't find anything else relating to his actual birth date.

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Howard View Post
    Dear Giancarlo,

I am happy to share information with you regarding Charles Hamilton Smith and John Francis Smet. (John didn’t change his name, it was only Charles).

Do you have a connection to them?

John Francis went to the University of Louvain (Leuven) and attained his MB in 1793 and became a surgeon on HM 8th Dragoons.
    I have his will dated 1839.

Charles Hamilton Smith died in 1859 in Plymouth and I have a Probate reference for this.

What information would you like or what do you already have?

With best wishes,

Joanne.
    Hi Joanne , Ive just discovered that Charles hamilton smith was my 3rd great grand father via ancestry.com and then found this forum and like the other posts have been unable to find his parents - great to find out her that his brother was john Francis smet - ill have a look around for him . Im new to all this so any tips would be appreciated as I'm fascinated regards james

Joanne Howard

Default Charles Hamilton Smith

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdawson View Post
    Hi Joanne , Ive just discovered that Charles hamilton smith was my 3rd great grand father via ancestry.com and then found this forum and like the other posts have been unable to find his parents - great to find out her that his brother was john Francis smet - ill have a look around for him . Im new to all this so any tips would be appreciated as I'm fascinated regards james
    Hi James, It is nice to be in contact as we are related. I don't actually have you in my tree but Marian Hamilton Smith married Joseph Robert Barrington Dawson and I assume you come down this line. Marian had a sister Emma Hamilton Smith which is the line I descend from. Charles Hamilton Smith is my 4th Great Grandfather.
    John Francis Smet, his brother has a will on Ancestry which also explains why Charles changed his name to Smith.
    It might be nice to chat via email, but I am not sure how to privately give you my email address.I will look into this.
    The information in the Dictionary of National Biography is I think the same as was written in a letter I read, that Charle's daughter Emma Hamilton Smith had written. I think she was his assistant.She did not marry.
    Charles was a prolific artist and much of his work is available on the internet. Bear in mind that there is another Charles Hamilton Smith.
    With best wishes, Joanne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast