Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LynJames

Default Quinns of Newry (PRONI lookup please)

I think my two Liverpool Greer Quinns (father and son) may be the ones described in the personally submitted entries on the LDS website. The entries are for the marriage of Greer Quinn and Susannah Reed 2nd Sep 1815, the baptism of their son Greer Quinn 2nd May 1824 and the marriage of Greer Quinn and Eliza Campbell 13th Oct 1843. They are all listed as Newry. Does anyone have this family in their tree? Could anyone do a lookup for me at PRONI? In my Liverpool records they are both blackmiths, so I'm hoping the occupation may be stated in one of the parish registers so I can make the connection before travelling there later this year. PRONI ref is MIC1/46 & MIC1/47.

Thanks
    Lyn James
    Liverpool

judipete

Default QUINNS OF NEWRY

Hello Lyn,
    I recently joined this forum to look for Elizabeth Goodman (DOB abt 1819) who married James Quinn (DOB 1819/20) both 18 years old who sailed from the UK in 1837 on the ship Navarino and settled in South Australia. These are my GG grandparents.

Greer Quinn and Susanna Reed are the parents of James Quinn (DOB 1819/20). We know this because Susanna Quinn (nee Reed) came to Sth Australia after the death in Ireland of her husband Greer Quinn and she died in Sth Australia in 1862 aged 70 years.

I have the list of names and years of birth for the children of Susanna Reed and Greer Quinn if this helps. At the time of his marriage Greer Quinn is listed as a Nailer (1815) and there are other members of the Quinn family who are nailers in Newry, County Down in the 1820 Newry Directory.

I would be glad to hear from you or others researching this Quinn family
    Judith

LynJames

Hi Judith

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay. Here is a my story in a little more detail.

1791 Greer Quinn senior born Ireland (calculated from Liverpool death certificate and Liverpool census of 1851)
    1791 Susannah Reed born Ireland (calculated from Liverpool death certificate and Liverpool census of 1851)
    1815 Greer Quinn and Susannah Reed married Newry. Parish record describes Greer as a nailor. Both of Newry.
    1821 Henry Quinn (first known son) born Newry (parish record verified)
    1824 Greer Quinn junior born Newry (parish record verified)
    1827 William Quinn born Newry (parish record verified)
    1830 John Quinn born Newry (personally submitted IGI entry)
    1832 Isaac Quin born Ireland (calculated from 1851 Liverpool census)
    1836 Agnes Quinn born Newry (parish record verified)
    1841 Greer Quinn senior, blacksmith and Susannah in New Bird St, Liverpool
    1843 Greer Quinn junior and Eliza Campbell married, Newry. No occupation given. (parish record verified)
    1844 Susannah Quinn born, Newry to Greer Quinn and Bridget (personally submitted IGI entry). Query here ... mother Eliza or Bridget?
    1850 Joseph Quinn, son of Greer jun and Bridget born (calculated from 1851 Liverpool census), no record birth in Liverpool
    1851 Greer Quinn senior and Susannah in Mersey St Liverpool
    1851 Greer Quinn junior and Bridget in Mersey St, Liverpool
    1859 Greer Quinn senior dies Liverpool (death certificate)
    1863 Greer Quinn jun dies Liverpool (death certificate)
    1864 George Quinn, last son of Greer junior born Liverpool after death of father

Both Greers are my direct ancestors.

I have nothing from any Liverpool record that says either of them were from Newry. All census records simply state Ireland. They are both listed as blacksmiths in all censuses and death records. That occupation is similar to nailor. It is the occupation, the calculated years of birth and the unusual name that led me to believe they are from Newry.

You say your Greer Quinn (husband of Susannah Reed) died in Ireland. Do you have any more information on this death? My Susannah Quinn (nee Reed) disappears after the 1851 census in Liverpool Could it be that our Greer Quinns are the same and that you had not realised that they were in Liverpool before Susannah emigrated? Did you assume that Greer died in Ireland?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Lyn in Liverpool

joycequinn

Hello Judy
    I am new to this and am researching my fathers side of the tree John Joseph Quinn b1936 Liverpool son of John Charles Quinn b 1910 Liverpool, John Charles the son of Joseph Quinn b1874 Liverpool who was the son of John Quinn b1855 Liverpool who was the son of Greer Quinn junior born 1825 Ireland. Joseph Quinn married Mary Ellen Price 1895 Liverpool and Joseph was a Blacksmith. I don't have any certification to prove this the only certificate I have is Joseph's marriage to Mary Ellen Price. If you have any further information to add to mine I would be grateful. I look forward to hearing from you.

Joyce

judipete

Default QUINNS OF NEWRY

Hello Joyce,
    Welcome to the Quinn discussion. Lyn James is the one who knows about the Liverpool Quinns, descendents of Greer Quinn and Susannah Reed from Newry, Ireland. I am a decendent of James Quinn, oldest son of Greer Quinn, who was born 1819/20 Newry Ireland and came to South Australia in 1837. See previous entries for more information. I do not think the Australian information will help you, except that Susannah Quinn (nee Reed) 1791 - 1862 died at Yankalilla South Australia in 1862. It seems that Susannah may have travelled to South Australia after the death in Liverpool of her husband Greer in 1859. Susannah's death was recorded in the newspaper, but there is no death certificate (quite common in Sth Australia) and we think she may have been buried on the property where they lived, as we cannot find her grave. Let me know if you would like any details of the Australian Quinns.
    Regards
    Judith

joycequinn

Default Australian Quinn's

Thanks Judith I would love information on the Quinn's who settled in South Australia as I Am compiling the family tree for my dad.

murraymint

Default Quinn family

Hi

My 2xGt grandmother Susannah Quinn was born abt 1845 in Newry Ireland
    her father was Greer Quinn,
    They lived in Mersey Street Liverpool
    I am hoping some-one might know what part of Newry Down they came from. I would like to visit Ireland next year hopefully.
    Also I would like to find marriage or births certificates if possible, I think I would need to find the Church they attended.
    I would appreciate any Help
    Murray

judipete

Default Quinn Family - Newry, Down Ireland

Hi Murray,
    When I first began the research on the Quinn family, I paid for a search for the family of my gt gt gradndfather James Quinn ( 1819-1906) by the Ulster Historical Foundation. James' father Greer Quinn (1791 - 1859) and Susannah Reed (1791 - 1862) were married 12 September 1815 in the Church of Ireland Newry and two sons Greer and William are recorded as being baptised within the Church of Ireland, Newry records. In Bradshaw's General Directory 1820, there is a John Quinn and a James Quinn who were both nailors, one in High Street and one in North Street. James Quinn (1819 -1906) is described as a nailor in the ship's record 1837. In Adelaide, his first child was baptised and in the records of the Church of England (first church in Adelaide). Hence I believe the family to be Protestant rather than Catholic.
    This is as much information I have about where the Quinn family might have lived in Newry. Many of the Irish records were destroyed bt fire and hence are lost.
    Best wishes with your research
    Judith

murraymint

Hi Judith
    Thank you for your reply, you have been a great help, I will try Ulster Historical foundation for Greer Quinn abt 1826 and his daughter Susannah abt 1845 births records, I might be able to find Greer Quinn and Bridget marriage has well.
    On Susannah Quinn marriage to William Range her father Greer was a Shipsmith
    They were married at St Nicholas church 1864, Cof E
    Do you know what happened to Isaac William Quinn.?
    Could you tell more about James if possible.
    Thank you
    Murray

judipete

Default Quinns of Newry

Hi Murray,
    The information on Greer Quinn and his daughter Susannah comes from Lyn James on this site. Greer Quinn (23rd April 1824, Newry, baptised 2nd May 1824 St Mary Newry - Died of an accidental blow to the head in his work on the docks/ships 15th April 1863). The inquest was held on 2nd May 1863. Greer Quinn had married Bridget Campbell on 13th October 1843 in Newry and on 1st February 1844, he was resident in High Street Newry. On 13th March 1850 he was a resident at 6 Brick Street Liverpool. In various records he was a labourer, blacksmith and a shipsmith.

Isaac William Quinn brother of Greer above, was born approx. 1832 in Newry. In 1841 he resided in New Bird Street and was a blacksmith's apprentice and in 1851 he resided in 35 Mersy Street Liverpool and was a tin plate worker. He married Elizabeth or Eliza .... in Liverpool. He died after 1852.

Susannah Quinn daughter of Greer Quinn and Bridget Campbell was born 1st February 1844 in Newry Down and baptised 3rd February 1844 in Newry. From 1851 she resided in 35 Mersy Street Liverpool. She can be traced through the census then, until she died of broncho pneumonia 31st March, 1891. As you mention, she married William Range 30th May 1864 in Liverpool. William Range later married Elizabeth Mercer on 31st January 1892.

I hope this helps your research. I will need more time to go into James Quinn and I am not sure of the connection for you.
    Good luck
    Judith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast