Knowledgeable and helpful

Unhappy Bankrupt Harness Maker

I am not sure if this thread should be here or in the Suffolk forum.
    My apologies if I am incorrect.
    My 3xgreat grandfather Daniel Hudson (Born 1783)was a saddler and harness maker in Kirton . His son Daniel Junior was also a harness maker.
    Daniel Senior died in 1841, Daniel Junior married the same year. he obviously took over the business.
    In 1853 Daniel Junior filed for bankruptcy in Suffolk County Court Woodbridge.
    As a harness maker he would possibly be supplying farmers. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about farming conditions in the early 1850's. If farmers were struggling I would expect that would be the reason that Daniel had financial problems however I believe I have read that farming conditions were bouyant at that time.
    It could be a possibility that he was supplying the owners of coaches or delivery wagons etc. If so maybe he was a victim of their financial condition.
    In 1844 he is listed as a Collar and Harness Maker with a partner Daniel Fenton. Maybe a partnership gone wrong!
    Is there any way I can gain more information regarding this entry in "The Jurist" dated 1853 naming Daniel Hudson as an Insolvent Debtor?
    I may just have to accept the fact that my great great grandfather was not a good business man.

Colin Moretti

First read the National Archives (TNA) guides on the subject
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...uidesindex.asp

Good luck

Colin

Many thanks Colin for your interest.
    I found the link you gave me most informative.
    Obviously bankruptcy was different from Insolvent Debtors. I hope he did not land up in prison although I can account for him in later censuses. I will check them again.
    As it is bedtime down here in Oz I will have another look at the details tomorrow. Looks as if I may find the records at one of the Suffolk record offices concerning his case.
    Thank you again
    Marj.

birdlip

Hello Marg,

have you seen this site? www.gazettes-online.co.uk/

The London Gazette recorded all the bankruptcy and insolvent debtors notices from all over England, also all the government appointments. There are two mentions for your Daniel Hudson; also his father is there in 1815, in a list of creditors, for some other unfortunate fellow that ended up in prison at Ipswich! I find it useful to go to the advanced search and put the first name and surname in "exact phrase", otherwise you have to wade through thousands of entries.

Now I'm off to tie up my capsicums, my husband is telling me I shouldn't be inside on a beautiful day like this, and he's quite right!

regards, Jan

Smile Was it a beautiful day outside?

Hi Birdlip..you put me to shame. My husband told me I definately had a neck ache because I had been on the computer all day. (Not quite all day but nearly!) What would we do without their good advice?!
    Have been doing non internet family tree work so have only just seen your thread.
    Thank you! You seem to have a vast supply of links unknown to me. I thought the "Jurist" was a pretty smart find but the one you gave me is super.
    My poor Hudson family and all the time I had been thinking that they were, at least, a little affluent!!
    My eighteenth and ninteenth century family tree certainly did not grow in the manor house garden more down the back paddock I think!(Excepting Charlotte and Oliver of course the wealthy branch!)
    Thanks again, I do hope the grandaughter was adorable and looked just like Birdlip.
    regards
    Marj.
    Last edited by Dargie; 18-02-2008 at 1:23 AM. Reason: missing word

birdlip

Sorry Marj, I only just spotted your reply.

I've found the gazette site really useful, and I've not heard of the Jurist, so you're one up on me there.