Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    maufleury

Default advice on finding living relatives

Hi. Does anyone have any ideas on HOW a person from Canada could go about finding living relatives in the UK? My maternal grandmother was named Nellie Earle and she was born in Uckfield, Sussex. How could I go about finding out about her relatives in the UK? She came to Canada in 1907, married my grandfather, and died here in Canada in 1938. I have NEVER even seen a photo of her so I thought if I could contact her relatives that would be great. I don't even know yet if she had brothers or sisters that she left behind in the UK. Any ideas of what I could do?

Geoffers

You don't mention an age - is that her born Lewis, aged 1 in the 1891 census living with an uncle and aunt, John and Mary ALCORN? That's a start in that you have another set of names to follow.

You know when and where she was born - so you should have her birth certificate and know her dad's name. Start with him and look to see if he left a will. Wills are great in that they often mention both children and grandchildren - and sometimes where they lived - useful if family migrated around the country, or the world.

If she was illegitimate, go back a generation and see if her grandfather left will, looking for similar family information.

What about the 1901 census, where and with whom was she living then?

Who was the informant for her dad's death? This is usually a relative and may have ben a son/daughter - an address should be given.

Directories don't mention everyone - but try checking a couple to see if there is any reference to the name in or near Uckfield - can any references to the name be traced to your family?

Did any famly members emigrate with her? Try the passenger lists.

Those are the basic starting points, once you have names of siblings/other family members, it is a case of following them in the GRO indexes. Once you get past 1911, spouses' surnames are included in the marriage index, mother's maiden names are mentioned in the birth index, making it easier to locate definite matches.

Finally is anyone in the Susses FHS researching the same name?

If any of the above is unclear, please ask.

SBSFamilyhistory

Cool

Hi Geoff/maufleury

From other threads we think we have found Nellies birth 1890 in Uckfield.
    maufleury I think you should get the birth certificate to see what that throws into the mixing pot.

I know that you has already sent for two birth certificates and if this isn't one of them you should go again, as apart from the spelling of Earle, being Earl everything else matches.

I have not found her on the 1901 Census.

Also the alcorns have gone awol on the 1901 too, but they were John 79 and Mary 60 on the 1891 Census.

PS sorry maufleury
    but I think we should try combining these threads to prevent duplication of effort.

Sue

SBSFamilyhistory

okay from what Geoff said about John having married more than once..

having a looking at the 1891 census for them I am unhappy about John's year of birth on either this census(?)

I have found a John and Mary Alcorn living as lodgers on the 1881 Census. Alcorn is not a common name I think they are the same people. also Mary's age is right.

Name: John Alcorn
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1832
    Relation: Lodger
    Where born: Isfield, Sussex, England

Civil Parish: Isfield
    County/Island: Sussex

Street address: Isfield
    Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Uckfield
    Sub-registration district: Isfield
    ED, institution, or vessel: 4
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Household Members: Name Age
    John Alcorn 49
    Mary Alcorn 50
    John Gurr 10
    Joseph Gurr 51
    Joseph Gurr 14
    Martha Gurr 53
    Moses Gurr 19

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1053; Folio: 58; Page: 1;

also looking at the 1891 Census the Gurr/Gull's are their neighbours!

having said that you go back to the 1871 Census and you will find John Alcorn born 1812 married to Elizabeth so perhaps the 1881 Census is incorrect

1871 England Census
    about John Allcorn
    Name: John Allcorn
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1812
    Relation: Head
    Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
    Where born: Isfield, Sussex, England

Civil Parish: Isfield

Sub-registration district: Isfield
    ED, institution, or vessel: 4
    Household schedule number: 110
    Elizabeth Allcorn 56
    John Allcorn 59
    John Burston 19 lodger
    Robert Burston 19 lodger

John is a carpenter so this fits with the 1881 census.

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1053; Folio: 63; Page: 21;

John's marriage to a Mary Waller

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
    about John Alcorn
    Year of Registration: 1872
    Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
    District: Lewes
    County: Sussex, East Sussex
    Volume: 2b
    Page: 248

now this is odd in 1854 a John Alcorn possibly married an Emily Gurr. Sorry if I am including red herrings.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
    about John Alcorn
    Year of Registration: 1854
    Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    District: Uckfield
    Page: 129

I hope this helps

Sue

SBSFamilyhistory

could this be Mary

1901 England Census
    about Mary Allcorn
    Name: Mary Allcorn
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
    Relation: Wid (Widow)
    Where born: Lewes, Sussex, England

Civil Parish: Maresfield
    Ecclesiastical parish: Ashdown Forest Christchurch and St Bartholomew

Sub-registration district: Maresfield
    ED, institution, or vessel: 5
    Household schedule number: 17
    Mary Allcorn 70

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 902; Folio: 54; Page: 3.

this could be her death

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983
    about Mary Allcorn
    Name: Mary Allcorn
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830
    Year of Registration: 1908
    Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
    Age at Death: 78
    Page: 83

and what about this for John's death

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983
    about John Allcorn
    Name: John Allcorn
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1812
    Year of Registration: 1895
    Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
    Age at Death: 83
    Page: 79

Sue
    Last edited by SBSFamilyhistory; 11-02-2008 at 2:46 PM. Reason: add deaths

Geoffers

To keep things simple and save on duplication of effort in trying to help maufleury - I'm going to link the other threads connected with this enquiry through to this thread and just leave this thread as the 'current' one to be updated with new information.

The closed threads are:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=26221

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=26218

For maufleury: In case you are worried about the above, you haven't done anything wrong - it's just that from experience it causes confusion having several similar threads open at the same time; it often ends up with more than one person looking up the same record and makes it difficult for you to locate who gave you what information. This is why the other threads have been closed and we'll just update this thread. If you have any concerns, or this causes you any problems, please feel free to click on my name and send me a private message.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

This fits with the re-marriage of John that Sue gives in message number 4.
    Death June quarter 1871 Uckfield registration district (which includes Isfield)
    Elizabeth Allcorn, aged 57.

And from the same message, the John Alcorn and Emily Gurr who married in 1854 are in Portslade in 1861.
    John , 26, ag lab, birthplace not known
    Emily, 25, born Isfield
    Henry 5, and
    Elizabeth A, both born Newick
    John 2 and
    Eliza 11 months, both born Fletching
    (All Sussex.)

Pam

maufleury

Default re: Nellie Earle look up

I just want to thank everyone here for all of this wonderful help! It is a lot to digest and I need time to look through all of it again. I am going to order Nellie's birth certificate, using the Nellie born at Uckfield in 1890. From there I should be able to tell if this is correct. The others were wrong because of the year, the spelling, and in some cases, the parents' names. I tried "Ellen" and "Earl" and found one where the parents' names matched, but the year was incorrect as well as her birthday (month). I recently found her on the passenger list for the Empress of Britain and I know it's right because her destination was Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and she was 17 years old in 1907. She left from Liverpool on March 22/1907 so she would have just turned 17 as (according to her tombstone and death certificate here in Canada), her birthday was March 19, 1890. I'll let everyone know when I receive my information.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by maufleury View Post
    I am going to order Nellie's birth certificate, using the Nellie born at Uckfield in 1890.
    This entry seems to fit with the 1891 census return

From there I should be able to tell if this is correct. The others were wrong because of the year, the spelling, and in some cases, the parents' names.
    This is all detail which - especially spelling - can be quite variable in records. Whilst the birth of Nellie appears the most likely match, just keep the other records you have found in mind.

I recently found her on the passenger list for the Empress of Britain and I know it's right because her destination was Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and she was 17 years old in 1907. She left from Liverpool on March 22/1907
    Were any other family members/friends, travelling with her?

maufleury

I checked through the whole passenger list and much of it was impossible to decipher. When I found her name on page 31, I nearly jumped for joy!!! However, there were no other Earles listed near her name so it appears she was travelling alone. I found the passenger list on Archivia Net and just kept checking for all ships leaving the UK in 1907. I was sure 1907 was correct because it matches up with all my other records including the 1911 Saskatchewan census. I also checked all 38 pages to see if I could find any other people travelling from Sussex to Saskatoon and had no luck. By the way, when I searched her ship on Find My Past.com, it did not come up at all! Find my past will allow you to check for other passengers possibly travelling with her, but because her ship was not found in the database, I had no luck there. She was a second class passenger on the ship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast