Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by maufleury View Post
    By the way, when I searched her ship on Find My Past.com, it did not come up at all! Find my past will allow you to check for other passengers possibly travelling with her, but because her ship was not found in the database, I had no luck there. She was a second class passenger on the ship.
    The ship is there on findmypast, I've just found it, her name has been misread and transcribed as EARLL. I was just wondering if clues might be found by anyone with whom she travelled. The problem with these earlier passenger returns is that little information is provided about individuals.

maufleury

I did finally receive Nellie Earl(e)'s birth certificate. She was born on March 19, 1890 in the registration district of Uckfield, birth place High Street, Uckfield in the sub-district of Lindfield in the county of Sussex. Her mother's name was Elizabeth Earl(e) and she was unmarried. Now I need to try and track down Elizabeth Earl(e) as well. So thank you to everyone who has helped me so far.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by maufleury View Post
    I did finally receive Nellie Earl(e)'s birth certificate. She was born on March 19, 1890 in the registration district of Uckfield, birth place High Street, Uckfield in the sub-district of Lindfield in the county of Sussex. Her mother's name was Elizabeth Earl(e) and she was unmarried.
    ......or Elizabeth was widowed? If she was a widow this will cause additional problems in tracing her.

I know your initial interest was to trace forwards in time, but this is difficult enough with more information. I think that in order to get anywhere you will need to establish exactly how Nellie is related to John and Mary ALCORN, with whom she is living in 1891.

This will mean tracing John and Mary ALCORN and trying to find Mary's maiden name, through marriage record and/or birth of children.

maufleury

Hi Geoffers! In reply to your last post, some kind souls on the East Sussex family forum did a bit of work on that for me. Apparently Elizabeth Earl(e) is always found as a single domestic servant on the different census records. These people have come up with some information that seems to make sense. They have used BMD as well as parish registers, I think. Apparently, John Alcorn married a Mary Waller. Mary had a sister named Elizabeth Waller. Elizabeth Waller married a John Earl(e). They had a daughter named Elizabeth.These people are wondering if the Daughter of John Earl(e) and Elizabeth Waller was my Nellie's mother. IF so, John and Mary Alcorn would be aunt and uncle to Elizabeth Earl(e) and great aunt and uncle to Nellie Earl(e). I still have to go over the dates etc to see if it all makes sense. I myself, have been busy e-mailing parish councils etc looking for information. So far, I've had no luck. One librarian from the Uckfield library was very puzzled that Nellie's birth certificate says she was born at High Street, Uckfield, in the sub-district of Lindfield. She says Lindfield is in West Sussex, closer to Cuckfield. So there's still a bit of confusion and challenge going on here. Right now, I'm focussing on trying to figure out what happened to my grandmother during the time between the 1891 and 1901 census years. With whom did she live, did Elizabeth Earl(e) ever get married? Were there any siblings? So I've got my work cut out for me!!! Thanks for all your help and interest.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

There is quite a bit of information linking Gurr and Alcorn families in Isfield and other Sussex villages on The Weald website, if you want to go backwards in family time. Once you work out what names you might be chasing, going forwards in your attempt to find living relatives, you could try the 1939 register records on Findmypast, and see whether you can work out where they went and who their offspring might be. If the names are distinctive enough, you can sometimes find the families listed in phone directories. Even just googling a name,place and dates can sometimes turn up useful clues and occasionally email addresses so you can try making contact. Sometimes they reply!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The other thing you can do is join a site that does dna matching, take a test and see whether any living descendants pop up matching your dna. My family have found several dna matches to my grandmother's family in Sussex; mostly fourth cousins, but you never know. We have located a "lost" brother of my great-grandfather this way and confirmed several links we were unsure of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12