Loves to help with queries

Question 2nd/40th (2nd SOMERSETSHIRE) REGIMENT

Hi was wondering could anyone tell me how I can obtain records for a soldier who was in this regiment, he was stationed for garrison duty in Australia and I believe that he was also at Eureka Rebellion...thanks karen

Geoffers

Dates are important and relevant in searching for service records. Not having heard of the Eureka rebellion, I searched through a book and found a date of 1854 - would this be correct?

Do you know (roughly) when he left the army? What is his name?

To save me typing everything out, have a browse of these National Archives research guides for
    Discharge Papers
    Pension Records

Records will be held at The National Archives in Kew, London

Geoffers

Okedoke - I've just seen your other thread about this and assume it is Nehemiah JENKINS alias SHEAR that you are after.

As well as the research guides I mentioned, try Musters and Pay Lists research guide. Since he did a runner, he won't be in receipt of a pension so you can ignore those records.

Default 2md/40th(2nd Somersetshire)Regiment

Thanks Geoffers for the info...karen

beechworth

Default mjkisxo

Hello Karen, From your post 4.2.2008,
    I'm wondering if you ever found where to access info on the 40th 2nd Somersetshire men in Aust.
    My man left Melb in April 1860 and died in May of 'severe cold'.
    I'd appreciate any help you could give. Thank you, Marg

Reputation beyond repute

My man left Melb in April 1860 and died in May of 'severe cold'.
    If you're saying he died in service, I should warn you that it is extremely difficult to find service records for such men.

Your best bet is probably to follow the advice in message #3 and read the research guide to Musters and Pay Lists.

Records are not online and you would have to commission some research to pursue this line of research.

Hi Marg,
    Our research on our missing fellow was done by a family member and yes they found it very useful and was able to track some of his movement so it is well worth reading the research guides and checking Muster & Pay lists. good luck
    karen