Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default MCLAREN MARGARET

Researching Margaret MCLAREN b 1837 Kincardine Perth Scotland only father known as David MCLAREN. Came to Australia in 1857...thanks karen

valr

Quote Originally Posted by mjkisxo View Post
    Researching Margaret MCLAREN b 1837 Kincardine Perth Scotland only father known as David MCLAREN. Came to Australia in 1857...thanks karen
    HI
    Are you still looking for help with this? I am descended from McLarens in Kincardine .... who moved there from Balquhidder originally. Several called Margaret!
    David is one of those names with an equivalent eg Donald/Daniel, Patrick/Peter - used interchangeably but can't remember what david was equivalent to - I think it is Duncan but maybe someone else can confrim.
    I have Duncans but no davids!

Default MCLAREN MARGARET

yes still looking for help ,
    I have since learnt her and her father came to Australia on the ship Tornado in 1855 and she was 18 but her birth cert says she was 20?? so she may have been in born in 1835 not 1837.
    thanks karen

gszparman

Default looking for a peter and christina mclaren.

My maiden name is Mclaren and I have recently started some family research. My family ( dad, and grandparents) are from Dysart, Kirkcaldy. I have through the census and marriage certs found a link to perthshire. My GG Grandfather Peter Mclaren married a Christina Mclaren!!? in perth and subsequently moved to Newburagh Fife and worked as an Innkeeper/ Hotel keeper. My info is from Scotlands people.

valr

Quote Originally Posted by mjkisxo View Post
    yes still looking for help ,
    I have since learnt her and her father came to Australia on the ship Tornado in 1855 and she was 18 but her birth cert says she was 20?? so she may have been in born in 1835 not 1837.
    thanks karen
    Does her birth cert say who her mother was? Does it say her father was David? Did you find it on Scotlandspeople? That will help a lot.
    Val

JAP1

Default A related thread?

See also the following:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=49598

which might be related - or at least relevant and might help to discount some people?

JAP

Hi folks, thanks for all your input, her mother's name was unknown so I am presuming she may have died at birth, as it was only her father and her who came to Australia.
    thanks karen

JAP1

Default Clarification please ...

Hi karen,

Could you give us details about the sources of your information?

1.Scottish Information
    You refer to a "birth certificate" for Margaret MCLAREN, who you say was b ca 1836 in Perthshire, Scotland.

However, Statutory Registration did not begin until 1855 in Scotland so there will be no birth certificate.

The best you might hope to find is an entry in a church register. Do you have such an entry? If so, what does it say?

2. Australian Information
    Where did you find the passenger list information?
    Which state did David and Margaret land in, and where did they live?
    Do you have any Australian certificates for either of them (marriage, death ...)?

Good luck,

JAP

Tornado

Default Also looking for info on Margaret McLaren

Hi Karen

We are also interested in tracing Margaret McLaren prior to her coming to Melbourne, Australia on the Tornado. We are particularly interested that her father 'David' may have come to Australia. However, he does not appear to be listed on the Index to Assisted British Immigration 1839-1871 for the Tornado which is searchable on-line at:

https://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/pu...OVguide050.jsp

(wildcard is * and is allowed in the above search engine)

From the above database: Margt McLAREN aged 18 (born ~1837) arrived Melbourne July 1855 as an assisted passenger on the ship TORNADO.

Also from the Melbourne Newspaper of the day:

The Argus - Tuesday 21 July 1855
    SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE – Page 4.
    ARRIVED (HOBSONS BAY).
    July 14. -Tornado, ship, 1229 tons, Robert Crighton, from Glasgow 14th April, with three hundred and ninety-five Government immigrants. Montefiore, Graham, and Co , agents.

By the way there is some confusion on the web regarding Nehemiah JENKINS which you may or may not have worked your way through. Nehemiah was born in Goathurst, Somerset to Charles Jenkins and Maria (almost certainly nee HALLETT) and was baptised 28 Nov 1833 according to:

West Somerset Parish Register Transcriptions - Martin Southwood
    https://www.wsom.org.uk/Parreg.html
    Goathurst Baptisms 1813-1860, search for JENKINS

We are obviously also very interested in tracing Charles and Maria's family; Nehemiah's siblings are available in the above database, but we have not as yet found Charles and Maria's Marriage nor their upbringing.

Trust that this helps you and others.

JAP1

Hello Tornado - and welcome!

Are you interested in the same Margaret McLAREN as mjkisxo? I ask only because it is a common Scots name, and mjkisxo hasn't provided information on her sources or answered queries.

Did you notice the following thread?:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=33421
    INGLESWALL is a name which I haven't found anywhere else - on Ancestry, on FamilySearch, by Googling ...

If you would like to lob your Margaret McLAREN to the B-G brickwall demolition team, perhaps you could post any information you have? Perhaps from the shipping fiche (sometimes they have further information) and from the Victorian certificates/indexes - especially birthplace, names of parents, etc.

Kind Regards,

JAP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast