Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    valr

Re: David Mclaren - I would bet that he was actually christened Donald or Daniel or even Duncan.

Normally Donald and Daniel are used interchangeably, but I have a couple of instances in my tree (which features dozens of Mclarens from Balquihidder and Kincardine in Perthshire) of "Davids" actually being christened one of these other names. Hid death might therefore be registered under his proper "Sunday" name as well!

If Margaret was married to a fellow Scot I would hvae expected her to use the Scottish naming pattern ie first son named after paternal grandfather, second son after maternal grandfather. What was the name of her second son? May be a clue. May not though if Nehemiah was not a Scot! I havent read all of the above posts carefully, But I would doubt with a name like that he was of Scots origin - so they probably didnt use the Scottish namig pattern.

Tornado

Thank you for the input Vair

Margaret's husband Nehemiah was born in Goathurst, Somerset.

Your post is still worth a look, just in case; "William McLaren (Margaret's son) was registered as being born at Warrnambool in 1857, in 1858 Nehemiah and Margaret's (second?) son Charles JENKINS was registered as being born in Wangoom (Warrnambool District) to Nehemiah JENKINS and Margaret McLAREN, in 1861 their first daughter, Harriet JENKINS, was registered as being born at Russells Creek near Warrnambool, followed by John McLaren JENKINS in 1862, Henry JENKINS in 1864, Charles JENKINS in 1865, Alice Annie JENKINS in 1866, Edwin McLaren JENKINS in 1869, David McLaren JENKINS in 1873, George McLaren JENKINS in in 1874 and Albert JENKINS in 1876."

We also have Margaret's first son's dual birth registry entries, one suggesting the father was William INGLESWALL and the other with father Unknown which may hold a key:
    "You haven't mentioned INGLESWALL. ChristineR found it on the Vic indexes as, it seems, an alternative record for Margaret's son William McLAREN. Perhaps it is just another alias of the deserter Nehemiah? If so, I wonder how he/she/they dreamt that name up! And when and why the amendment was made (presumably the certificate would show this)."

I still have some ideas to follow up and we also have the initiator of this thread and another contact of mine who may be able to help with more information.

Cheers for now.
    Tornado

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Default changes to certificates

Just to clarify what a R added to a number means in the Victoria BDM indexes. This means that a change has been made to the original registration.

This could relate to any number of things - the adding of a name, a correction to spelling of a surname, change of birth date or place, a father's name added or taken away,. This is cross-indexed and will appear in both the year of the original registration and again in the year of the change. The change year is usually indicated on the original's index entry, but the entry in the year of change may give a false impression of the original event date.

We have only purchased one certificate at this stage;
    I am at a loss for words. Certificates, especially ones form Victoria, are a wealth of information!

PS - The Victoria BDM index gives the year and place of registration - which is not always the same as the year and place of the event.
    ChristineR

Tornado

Hi ChristineR

That is fair comment. The one certificate (Marriage Certificate for William McLaren 'Cody' JENKINS) we have purchased did indeed include some interesting content.

We are relatively new to this, and we are currently awaiting further contact from a published Source outside this Forum who may well already have the Birth Certificate for William McLaren 'Cody' (JENKINS). This Source may even have family documentation which sheds further light on Margaret McLAREN's origins.

Cheers
    Tornado

valr

I have been unable to find a Margaret Mclaren in the IGI or in 1841 or 1852 census born around the right time in Kincardine parish with a father whose name begins with D..... I wonder if the original poster is certain that that is where she came from?

Merri

Hello Tornado,
    I have just joined and have found it interesting what has been written about Nehemiah & Margaret( McLaren) Jenkins.

Nehemiah Jenkins is buried in the Warrnambool cemetery location CE 16 018 with 3 other people who are not related to our Jenkins family.

My cousin told me the cross that was on his grave has disappeared so I must go out and have a look as it must be 10 years since I last saw it. I have his death certificate and also a photo copy of Margaret's death certificate. The BD&M Victorian death records of 1921 - 1985 states on the children's records Jeremiah not Nehemiah as father & Margaret McLaren as mother.

Herbert Jenkins, a child of Margaret Mclaren Jenkins, was the informant on his mother's death certificate and he wrote she was a widow and buried Portland. Nehemiah died 1897, Margaret 1893.
    On the Tornado shipping records. Margaret's number was 303 from Perth Scotland.
    My grandfather was William George Jenkins and his father was William McLaren (Cody) Jenkins.

Cheers
    Merri

Loves to help with queries

Hi folks just a follow up...

I have since found that Nehemiah Jenkins was in fact christened Nathaniel Jenkins parents Maria Brice and Charles Jenkins 23-11-1833 Goathurst Somerset burie 4-1-1897 Warrnambool Cemetery Vic death Reg 3318

Nehemiah came to Australia as a soldier then deserted he came to Adelaide on HMS Vulcan as a foot soldier on garrison duty. he married Maragaret McLaren on 27-9-1858 unfortunately the church burnt down so there is no record and all I have found for Margaret McLaren is born in Perth 1835 (age 56)-1837 died Warrnambool Victoria Australia 17-8-1893 Vic death reg 11351 and is buried at Sth Portland Cemetery.
    Margaret came over on the ship Tornado age 18.
    Her first child William Ingleswall was born 1857before they maried so I am assuming it was a made up name

This is all the information I have unfortunately, many thanks for all your help in the past
    karen

Loves to help with queries

I have also been in touch with the Jenkins family in Somerset and they said that Nehemiah also know as Jeremiah and other names) disappeared they did not know where he went. I am a descendant of Herbert David Jenkins son of John McLaren Jenkins son of Nehemiah & Margaret Jenkins
    thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123