Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

I did have the wrong info on Jane's parentys it was not William there is anotherpost with correct father Thomas Merrett started 9/9/20 thanks all and I apologise for incorrect names
    karen

Have you tried the 1841 census? I know it’s not as useful as the 1851 (which would give you her birth parish if you can find her under her married name), but if you’re lucky she might have lived with her parents before the marriage.

BTW I have merged the MERRET thread with this one as we do not allow more than one thread about the same search - it prevents people from having spent time posting help on one thread and then finding someone else has done the same thing on another thread.

Pam, I think we're victims of cross-modding....

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Pam, I think we're victims of cross-modding....
    Yes, but fortunately it seems to have worked out ok. Unlike my efforts the other week, of which the least said the better.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Jane married Charles William Challen, and in thread about the Challen family is this post, re the 1851 census.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKelly View Post
    This is the 1851 census, family residing in Church Street, Fulham:

Charles W Challen / Head / abt 1817 / Omnibus Labourer / West Ham, Essex, England
    Jane Challen / Wife / abt 1826 / Dress maker / Dursley, Gloucestershire, England
    Peter R Challen / Son / abt 1848 / St Marylebone, Middlesex, England
    Harriet E Challen / Daughter / abt 1850 / Fulham

I'll see what else I can find.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...hlight=challen

Pam

Baptism (Ancestry - image)
    28 Aug 1824, Jane, dau of Thomas and Elizabeth Merrett, abode Dursley, father's occpn. Stonemason

Cheltenham Chronicle, 4 Aug 1836
    Gloucester City Sessions - Ann Wheeler, age 26, was found stealing from the person of T Merrett, stonemason ...
    Gloucester Chronicle, 30 July, 1836
    Ann Wheeler, 26, charged with stealing from the person of Thomas Merrett ...
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Baptisms (Ancestry - image)
    Parents Thomas and Elizabeth Merrett, abode Dursley, father's occpn. Mason

James, bap 9 Dec 1815; Emma, bap 27 Jul 1820; Eliza, bap 14 Apr 1822
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

thank you for merging, I did look for a way to delete the first post with wrong father but couldn't, once again I apologise.

the above information looks very promising and I will look into this today thank you helachau

Karen

thanks Pam for some reason I had not read that Census properly to see that she was born in Dursley! They came to Australia not long after which I have all the information on the Challen family, it is just Jane Merrett's family in Gloucestershire I am wanting to find info on . Is there anyway in which to remove the MANING name from the original thread so it just reads MERRET? tia.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkisxo View Post
    thanks Pam for some reason I had not read that Census properly to see that she was born in Dursley!
    Rule number 101 - always read the small print! Unless you carefully absorb every single word in a document it is very easy to overlook a vital fact. (Says one who has been there and done it several times, but who still gets caught out.)
    They came to Australia not long after which I have all the information on the Challen family, it is just Jane Merrett's family in Gloucestershire I am wanting to find info on . Is there anyway in which to remove the MANING name from the original thread so it just reads MERRET? tia.
    Title amended. I can amend it more precisely to 1824 and Dursley if you wish, but sometimes it's better to keep things fairly general.

Pam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast