Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Unhappy CHARLES WILLIAM CHALLEN

I am trying to locate the family of Charles William Challen according to his son's marriage certificate and death certificate. Charles Challen b 1817 Essex married 1846 St Marylebone to Jane Merrett b 1823 Berkeley Glos. They came across to Australia in 1852 on board the ship Nepaul. I have them listed as living in Church Street Fulham whilst married, and he was listed as an omnibus labourer.
    But would like to find out more about Charles William Challen and his family. I'm hoping that they did not transcribe his birth place wrong as a lot of Challens came from Sussex. Can anyone help please?...thanks karen

ChrisKelly

This is the 1851 census, family residing in Church Street, Fulham:

Charles W Challen / Head / abt 1817 / Omnibus Labourer / West Ham, Essex, England
    Jane Challen / Wife / abt 1826 / Dress maker / Dursley, Gloucestershire, England
    Peter R Challen / Son / abt 1848 / St Marylebone, Middlesex, England
    Harriet E Challen / Daughter / abt 1850 / Fulham

I'll see what else I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkisxo View Post
    I'm hoping that they did not transcribe his birth place wrong as a lot of Challens came from Sussex. Can anyone help please?...thanks karen
    The 1851 census original image HO107/1471 f.62 p.13 clearly says his birth was in West Ham, Essex

I see Chris has beaten me to the details!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Alan Welsford

Hi there,

The information you have posted for Charles & Jane Challen is such a good match with the 1851 census, I'm assuming that you already have that information, including the two children.

In the (unlikely) event you don't have the census, please advise, and we can post it.

Regarding the Essex birth-place I couldn't immediately find Charles in the 1841 census. There is a Sussex born one of similar age, in North Chapel, Sussex in 1841, but he would appear to be the one born in Lurgashall Sussex in subsequent censuses, who is still around after your one has left the country.
    So nothing to suggest your one wasn't born where the 1851 says he was.

His wife Jane looks like she can be traced back quite easily, albeit that you'd need to verify with original records.

Have you seen this IGI entry, which appears to be from a "good" source

Batch C016485 Film/Fiche 0855613
    Church of England. Parish Church of Berkeley (Gloucestershire) (1676-1890)

JANE MERRETT
    Event(s):
    Christening: 06 JAN 1823 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
    Parents:
    Father: WILLIAM MERRETT
    Mother: HANNAH

It looks a very good match for Jane in the 1851 census.

The IGI also provides 7 other possible children of William & Hannah, (these are spread across 2 batches C016484 & C016485).

MARY MERRETT - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 06 JAN 1814 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
    (above shown as aged 1 at Baptism)
    ANN MERRETT - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 02 APR 1815 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
    WILLIAM MERRETT - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 05 OCT 1817 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
    THOMAS MERRETT - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 20 MAY 1821 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
    JOSEPH MERRETT - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: About 22 MAY 1824 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
    SARAH MANNING MERRETT - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 28 FEB 1827 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
    ELIZABETH MANNING MERRETT - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 30 APR 1833 Berkeley, Gloucester, England

Additionally this looks highly likely to be the marriage of William and Hannah, given the use of 'Manning' as some of the children's second names.

Batch M016481 Film/Fiche 0855616
    Church of England. Parish Church of Berkeley (Gloucestershire) (1676-1890)

WILLIAM MERRETT
    Male
    Marriages:
    Spouse: HANNAH MANING
    Marriage: 21 MAY 1812 Berkeley, Gloucester, England

I think you might be able to get further back than this, but as there are several William MERRETTs baptised in Berkeley that could be the one marrying above, I suspect it would all start to get quite a bit harder.

Anyway here's hoping that some of this, at least, may be new to you.

Let us know what you think,

Alan

Red face CHARLES WILLIAM CHALLEN

Hi Chris and Sue.....already have details of census, but it is good to know I am looking in the right place, it's unfortunaate that I don't have enough info. May have to obtain their marriage certificate!...many thanks Karen

Hi Alan, yes the parents match as well as their marriage, but I didn't know about the other children, fantastic, will look into them, many thanks for the offer of the census but I already have it. At least now I feel I can track down her siblings. Thank you so much...karen

Unhappy CHARLES WILLIAM CHALLEN

Can anyone help with ideas as to where to look for Charles William Challen and his parents???thanks karen

I have since discovered Charles William Challen had a brother who emigrated to Australia as well he was John Henry Challen also born in West Ham c1816 and their father was John Challen a shoemaker b c 1780 this is all the information I have of this family but definately states they were born in Westham.
    thanks

pennydog

Have you seen the marriage of John Henry to Eliza Wood (Charles William being a witness) 7/8/1848?

On Charles's marriage father John is marked as deceased (and he is John Henry dec'd on John's)

There is a death of John Challen - Lambeth, December qtr 1838 Vol 4 page 197

Hi pennydog, thanks yes I have that information about john henry marrying Eliza Wood but didnt have the marriage certificate so that's great to know that the father John was deceased (you know what I mean) it makes it a bit easier when searching for a death. Is Lambeth near West Ham? is there a possibility it could be him? You are a wealth of information how did you see the marriage certificate etc.... I am having so much trouble locating the children's births as mother is unknown and not many Challens lived in Essex mostly were from Sussex. I do know the father was a shoemaker (John Henry Challen) that's all the information I can gather about them, besides being born in WestHam.
    thanks so much
    karen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast