Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coulson

news

Default Coulson

Hi
    I,m a newbie to the site and hope someone can help me.

I live in Manchester and am researching the Coulson family in Durham. I have the marrage of Joseph Coulson to Francis (maybe Jobson/Charlton) at St John the Baptist 1863 On the 1871 census I have them living at 28 William Street. He is listed as a coachmaker and family stories tell of him being linked to the royal coronation coach.

Josephs father is George who was born approx 1815 at Durham St Giles and was married to Mary ? but am unable to find any information about them eg mariiage death.

If anyone can help either with details of the Coulson family or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Jan1954

Hello News and welcome to Brit-Gen

Have you considered the following:

Marriages Dec 1837
    CHARLTON Margaret Durham & Lanchester 24 88
    Coulson George Durham & Lanchester 24 88
    STOKER James Durham & Lanchester 24 88

This was taken from FreeBMD, which is almost, but not quite, complete. Maybe ordering the certificate with just George's name on it will tell you one way or the other whether it was Margaret Charlton (mentioned above) or someone else with the first name of Mary. Seems a bit coincidental with the Charlton, seeing as how you mentioned it for a daughter-in-law...

Remember, first names were interchangeable with second names and I have also seen Margaret shortened to Mary (tuh!). These ancestors never wanted to make it easy for us!

Good luck,
    Last edited by Jan1954; 03-02-2008 at 9:33 PM. Reason: Daughter/daughter-in-law

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by news View Post
    Hi
    I have the marrage of Joseph Coulson to Francis (maybe Jobson/Charlton) at St John the Baptist 1863
    I know it's the COULSON you say you are researching, but I'm intrigued that there seems to be some ambiguity about the brides names ?

Do you have the certificate for Joseph COULSON's wedding, please ?

The GRO index references, (there are two adjacent listings for the bride), are as follows....

Marriages Mar 1863
    ---------------------------------------------
    COULSON Joseph Newcastle T. 10b 114
    JOBSON Frances Charlton Newcastle T. 10b 114
    JOBSON Francis Charlton Newcastle T. 10b 114

So they clearly think her surname was JOBSON and forenames Francis (or Frances) Charlton. (I think Francis as a woman's name is quite unusual, but could be wrong).

I would guess that one of her ancestors, (her mother possibly) had the surname Charlton.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Welsford; 04-02-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo

Alan Welsford

OK this may take a bit of explaining, so please bear with me...

The 1851 census shows George and Mary's oldest (?) child as Richard Stobart COULSON, (a very individual name).

I'm not sure of the quality of this IGI entry, (the 'C' batch number should mean it's a controlled extracted record, but no source is given).

Richard Stobart Coulson
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Birth: 15 AUG 1838
    Christening: 16 SEP 1838 Houghton Le Spring, Durham, England
    Parents:
    Father: George Coulson
    Mother: Mary Coulson

Source Information:
    Batch No.: C023245

This seems fairly consistent with a quoted age of 12 in 1851, (but not the 11 months given in 1841 ).

But it gives us the parents names we are expecting, so looks quite reasonable.

Better there is A GRO births reference for that name, in that place...

Births Sep 1838
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Coulson Richard Stobart Houghton le Spring 24 134

So I think we have struck lucky, as it has fallen within civil registration,

If you apply for that certificate, it should hopefully show parents as George & Mary and, most importantly, give Mary's maiden name.

That should then allow you to look for a marriage, which if you are lucky might just (but only just) also fall within civil registration. (There are no obvious George COULSON / Mary marriages in Houghton Le Spring, but possibly the marriage was not where the first (?) child was born.

I did look for a George COULSON / Mary STOBART marriage (just a hunch!), but couldn't find one, either in the GRO indexes or the IGI.

I hope I've not confused too much!

Alan

suedent

This may or may not be connected.

Alfred COULSON married Jane STOTHARD in Bishopwearmouth Church, Sunderland (then in County Durham) on 9 Dec 1855.

His grandson Newby COULSON (son of Newby Stothard COULSON) married into my husband's DENT family.

Newby Stothard COULSON gives his place of birth as Limehouse, London and is with his parents in 2 Laver's Cottages, Gates St, Poplar, Middlesex in 1871. By 1881 the family have returned to Sunderland.

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello News and welcome to Brit-Gen

Have you considered the following:

Marriages Dec 1837
    CHARLTON Margaret Durham & Lanchester 24 88
    Coulson George Durham & Lanchester 24 88
    STOKER James Durham & Lanchester 24 88

This was taken from FreeBMD, which is almost, but not quite, complete. ,
    (Sorry, I can't put this down. Much to the annoyance of my wife who is looking for some help clearing the kitchen...)

It's possible the missing woman on that page is a Mary.

The GRO indexes show...

Marriages Dec 1837
    ------------------------------
    HUNTON Mary Durham 24 89

But if you query that page in FreeBMD she's the only entry on the page, despite them claiming 99% coverage. The original image does show page 88, but is once again a typed page. It's again possible, (likely ?), that this page has been typed up at some stage from the original manuscript, and 88 has been mis-transcribed as 89.

Either way, my choice would be to get the Richard Stobart COULSON birth certificate first, and then with luck we'll know the surname of the Mary we are after.

news

Hi

Thanks very much for all the help that you have given. Can you tell me where is the best place to obtain marriage and birth certificates?

Stobart is a name that has come down through the generations to my father (who sadly died 14 years ago), but I am not sure where it originates from, it may well be a surname on the female side of the family, I will have to look into that.

Any idea where I would find records prior to 1831 census from which I have details of where the family lived.

Thanks again

suedent

Durham Records Online may have what you're looking for

https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/index.php

It may also be worth checking out the Original Indexes stand in the Parish Chest shop, they have transcribed a lot of Durham Records.

Jan1954

Hi

Thanks very much for all the help that you have given. Can you tell me where is the best place to obtain marriage and birth certificates?
    Visit the GRO online. You can order the certificates at £7 a throw as long as you have the reference

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Any idea where I would find records prior to 1831 census from which I have details of where the family lived.

Thanks again
    As registration started 1 July 1837, the best bet would be the parish records.

news

Default Help i'm confused Coulson/Davison

Hi everyone

I wonder if any one can help? I have managed to find out more information following my last request, but I have managed to unearth (I think) 2 Elizabeth Davisons that seem to be in my line
    a) Elizabeth c1800 to Richard Coulson c1799
    b) Elizabeth c1863 to Richard Stobart Coulson c 1865
    It seems vey unusual for to me for the same names to crop up twice, can anyone help me to clarify.

Also following up on my last posting I have managed to trace the Stobart connection:
    George Coulson c1815 married Mary Dobson c1812
    Mary's parents were Joseph Dobson c1780 and Mary Stobart c1780.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast