Thread: Headmaster

claire1966

Default Headmaster

Hello,

I'm trying to trace some more information about my Great Uncle, Richard Williams.

He was headmaster at what was Tirphil Boys School in the Rhymney Valley. He was born in 1896, fought in WW1 and attended Goldsmiths College in London. I've approached the college but they say that their records don't go back that far! He became headmaster at the young age of 26 and lived with his wife in School House just across the road from the School.

I've been to Tirphil and the house still exists, but I'm not sure how to find out some more about him.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Claire

Reputation beyond repute

When was he at Goldsmiths? There's some potentially tasty stuff in the catalogue eg "lists and photographs of students, 1918-1956"

Do you have his Teachers Registration papers?

See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=110

I don't know what might be available at the appropriate repository for the locality of the school.

claire1966

Hello Peter,

I would have thought that he would have been at the college around 1920. He served in the war and was headteacher at 26 which meant he would have been qualified by 1922. Is the catalogue freely available? It would be brilliant to see if I could even find a picture of him.

We don't have his registration papers unfortunately. He had one daughter who never married & died a number of years ago and I don't know what happened to his or her effects.

Thank you for the national archives link, I'll have a look at that.

Kind regards,
    Claire

Reputation beyond repute

I don't think the catalogue as such is available online. I just got it from this abstract:
    https://tinyurl.com/2byrld

The National Archives research notes will tell you how to get hold of his teachers registration document, if he was registered.

claire1966

Thanks Peter, it looks like I'll need to approach the Librarian of the college. Hopefully he/she will be more helpful than the last person!!

Kind regards,
    Claire