Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    *bunty*

Default Parrish/Parish is the name!

Hello all,

I am coming here to declare my passion for the surname Par(r)ish . This is my maternal grandad's line, a long line of coal miners with mine eventually leaving Chirk, Denbighshire after 1850. After traveling through Durham they ended up in Yorkshire (Featherstone/Pontefract). I would love to hear of other Par(r)ish searchers .

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Mine came from Cambridgeshire, England - my great great grandfather James PARISH came to Australia.

Not easy using search engines on that surname

ChristineR

Jo12

Default Chirk

Hi
    Our families were former work colleagues in the Black Park Colliery in Chirk, one of the oldest in Wales (1653). Whilst reseaching my Roberts family, the name Parish kept cropping up, usually as neighbours on censuses. In 1942 a G.G.Leary wrote a book titled 'The Collieries of Denbighshire', a copy of which is in the Denbighshire RO. Page 37 says quote "Many of the families of the workpeople have been connected with the colliery for several generations, and turning back to the old wages books one finds the still familiar names of Mates, Roberts, Williams, Parrish, Jones, Hughes and Griffiths, recorded." (I've no idea if the "wages books" are kept anywhere)

I have one Parrish listed on a 1851 census page as neighbour;
    Green Lane, Chirk
    Jane Parrish, Head, Widow, Age 48, Occ. Parish Relief, b.Chirk
    with Sarah Evans, Niece, Age 10, b. Staffordshire
    and John Hardy, Lodger, Age 28, Occ. Gamekeeper, b. Suffolk

Green Lane and Bottom Barracks seem to be miners cottages, I know Bottom Barracks are still standing, if you've found any of these addresses. B.P. Colliery sunk the Green Lane pits in 1832.

Just some snippets for you, hope you like them !!

*bunty*

Thanks for that snippet. I have no doubt Jane would have been one of mine - married into the family but my parish transcripts do not cross over with GRO information, so I have a gap of about 25 years during which Jane would have married a Parish. It seems he died before the 1841 census. Jane could have been an Evans, given the surname of the niece visiting. It has sparked my curiousity I must say .

My direct line moved on from Chirk but my 2 x great grandfather's brother John Parish (b 1845) stayed in Chirk and many offspring came from him. I imagine they were all coalminers so I expect the reference in the book you named was about them and other branches of the tree that split off earlier. Many of mine worked at both Black Park and Brynkinallt.

Edited to add: Jane was an Evans. She appears on the 1841 census living with an Eleanor Evans. I found Eleanor in my Chirk transcripts and she has a daughter called Jane in 1802. Still don't know which Parish man she married though .
    Last edited by *bunty*; 11-06-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: found who Jane is!

*bunty*

Also, I have a Roberts in my tree who married into the Parrish line:

Elizabeth Roberts b. 1801 Chirk, m John Parish

No other Roberts as far as I can tell!

Corina Rox

Talking Parrish

Hiya

My PARRISH line was my maternal grandfather HERBERT PARRISH born 1898 in Tottenham, Middlesex.

At the moment I am stuck with his side. Im verging on ordering his Birth Cert but Ive found an Aunty, so im gonna wait untill I have met her.

Anyone else got connections with Tottenham?

Corina

*bunty*

My Parrish line has no connection to Middlesex unfortunately. Do you have your Herbert on the 1901 census? There are two possibilities for him and his family. In my opinion this is the most likely:

Class: RG13; Piece: 1255; Folio: 146; Page: 53

Herbert Wm Parrish
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899
    Relation: Son
    Father's Name: William
    Mother's Name: Emily Louisa
    Where born: Tottenham, London, England

Household Members:
    Alice Maud Parrish 6 months
    Emily Louisa Parrish 25
    Herbert Wm Parrish 2
    Louisa May Parrish 4
    William Parrish 25

I would definitely recommend ordering the birth certificate first, otherwise you don't really have any concrete evidence to build your tree on. Once you have Herbert's parents you can hit the ground running.

Is this the cert you are thinking about ordering?

Herbert William Parrish 1898 Q4 Edmonton 3a 360

I think this record connects to the census information above.

RosemH

I don't suppose anybody has a John Par(r)ish who married Ann Mary Jones in 1814 in Chirk in their tree anywhere? I'm trying to find out who his parents were, without too much success at the moment!

*bunty*

I think I may be able to help you if you can give me some more information. Names of their children perhaps? I can pretty much connect most of the Par(r)ishes in Chirk to my Parrishes, but there are lots of Johns so a little more on their children would help thanks . Did they stay in Chirk?

RosemH

Hi Bunty

Thanks for your reply. The only info I have is that John Parrish and Ann Mary Jones were married in Chirk on 26th December 1814 (witnesses included Thomas Collins and Mary Parrish), and I have so far found two children born to them. One was Pamela (who married into my line), baptised in Chirk on 11October 1818. The other is Eliza, baptised 24 December 1815.

Pamela was married in 1839 in Holywell, and in the 1841 census she was living in Bagillt. I don't know when she/her family left Chirk as I haven't been able to find John and Mary with any certainty.

All the best
    RosemH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast