Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Peter_uk_can

Hi Leander. We have the land record and the birth date for his children.

Our website also mentions the 22+ variations of the spelling that continue to trouble any and all research. Someone obviously provided these gravemarkers as they are the same for many fallen and ex civil war soldiers.

To date we have not been able to find who was responsible.

Thanks for your reply.

Leander

Hi Peter,

Grave markers for veterans are usually placed by historical societies or veterans organizations.

The cemetery was part of an Episcopal church, yes? At one point it was St. Antipas and now there's a St. John in the Wilderness church at Red Lake, which might also serve the reservation. I'd contact the church or the diocese. (https://www.episcopalmn.org/article67785.htm)

Death records probably would be the domain of the church, since most states weren't required to record births, marriages, and deaths until the 1880s, and in some places much later than that.

Another option might be the Red Lake Reservation authorities. Some tribes keep records (I know that many of the Iroquois tribes do).

I couldn't find a Civil War pension application for Alexander, nor a survivor's application. It may not have made any of the online lists.

You have done thorough research and probably know about this already, but just in case....https://www.maquah.net/We_Have_The_Ri...Appendix4.html

Peter_uk_can

Hi Leander.. I will pusrue the links to the church again.

Obviously someone went to some trouble to have the grave marked, which is a good thing, but I guess for what ever reason, Alex became forgotten by his descendents, who under the name Chaboyea, are buried only a few feet away.

Funny old world eh. Thanks for your efforts, they are appreciated and I will let you know when we progress. I prefer the word "when" to "if"

Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123