Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geoffers

I suggest trying the 1860 American census to see if you can locate your chap there.

If you know his home parish in England and have a rough idea when he may have emigrated, try the records created as a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, these are held at the National Archives (TNA) at Kew, in document class Mh12.

On the American side, try locating his record of service in the Amercian Civil War. There is this link on the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) which gives some information
    https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...1-records.html

Quote Originally Posted by ppod View Post
    My knowledge of American history is sadly lacking so could anyone tell me if there is any chance that this could be my Job ( born 1829 Somerset, England) and if so how I go about finding out more.
    Were his parents Edward & Margret by any chance?, just found a Job Stuckey on the US 1860 Census in IL, with parents and siblings.

ppod

Sadly no. They were John and Ann living in Somerset. He was married and I can track his wife and children in UK

ppod

He seems to have been a wanderer!. Born Kingston Seymour, Somerset. Married a Shropshire lass. First child born Wolverhampton, second child in Bristol. Then he disappears! Wife and family in Stoke Staffs in 61 and have been joined by Job in '71.
    Im really trying all possibilities to track him down during the missing years.

A fountain of knowledge

Default Different Job in Civil War

Wherever your man was in 1861, he doesn't appear to have been the chap in the 52nd Illinois.

Ancestry is showing that Job as having died on 18 Sep 1864; buried in Marietta (Georgia) National Cemetery. He was probably the one found in Hudson, McLean Co., Illinois in 1860 in this household:

Edward Stuckey 44
    Margaret Stuckey 46
    James Stuckey 22
    Adolph Stuckey 20
    Mary Stuckey 18
    Job Stuckey 17
    Jane Stuckey 14
    Thomas Stuckey 8
    Anna Stuckey 5

They were all born in England. Relatives? Edward was a farmer. The 1860 census didn't show relationships. I checked the handwritten version, and 17 was indeed the age shown for Job.

birdlip

Well, how exciting! I think I may have found several of my New York PHAIR relatives fighting on the Union side. There are 18 PHAIR's listed , three are Confederates, and of the remaining 15 Union soldiers, eight enlisted in various regiments of the New York Infantry. There are a couple of James Phair's, one of which I'm hoping will turn out to be my elusive g-g-grandfather, I've just sent off to NARA for the forms to fill out, so I can request their details.

Thanks so much for posting all this, the website is excellent, and I'd never have thought of looking there.

regards birdlip

ppod

Peggy,
    Thanks for that. It was really a long shot but worth a try. There were quite a few Stuckeys who went over to America. Edward and family could well have been amongst them.

Peter_uk_can

Does anyone know who was responsible for erecting the grave markers for Union Soldiers of the Civil War. We recently vsited the grave of Alexander Chaboillez who is buried on the Red Lake Reserve in Minnesota. Although we traced family descendents in the area, they didn't even know he was buried there. There is no date, just his regiment. The army records show him being discharged, so we know he didn't die whilst in service.

We are still attemtoing to find out what happened to the early records for this graveyard, but had no success yet.

Leander

Hi yet again, Mike.

No, I'm not stalking you. :-)

Found a Civil War soldier, Job Stuckey, from Hudson, Illinois. He fought for the Union, of course, being from Illinois. Enlisted as a private on 17-Sept-1861. On 25-Oct-1861 he was enlisted in Company B, 52nd Infantry Regiment Illinois.

Unfortunately, died in the same service on 18-Sept-1864. It would be interesting to see if he died in a battle or, as most soldiers, died of disease (cholera, typhus, and the like killed more soldiers in the war than battles).

Leander

Peter,

It looks like Alexander was alive in 1880 when he purchased 160 acres of land in Minnesota (https://www.glorecords.blm.gov/Patent...37&DetailTab=1)

Hope that link works. If not try here: https://www.glorecords.blm.gov/, then search land patents. The first time through it will ask you for a postal (zip) code. If yours doesn't work, just plug in 12205 and work from there.

I've been unable to locate him after that, but he did live in an isolated area and has a surname that would lend itself to mispellings.

Best of luck!

Deb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast