Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    davidken28

Default Descendants of Rev William Williams, Pantycelyn

Does anybody have the full details of the 1st generation from the Rev, Williams? I have William, the curate in Cornwall, and John, the curate at Builth, who is buried with his father; are there other lines?
    I am researching an alleged descent through the Hopcyn family of Cilmaengwyn Farm, Ynysmeudwy, Llangiwg, who married into he Lewis family of Ynys y corbwll, Llangiwg. Does this ring any bells?

John Nicholas

Hello Davidken,

I certainly hope there are more lines - see my November posting. I'm sure I've read somewhere about 7 surviving children out of 8 (or similar numbers). Unfortunately, only William and John are regularly named. The book on Williams by Glyn Tegai Hughes gives the briefest biographical details and is really a book of literary and religious analysis. There is a two-volume biography in Welsh by Gomer M Roberts, which I think might have a family tree, at least in volume one. You might be able to see or borrow that through your local library, as you live in Anglesey - it's not a volume which is readily available in Buckinghamshire!

Do post details if you have any luck!

John

davidken28

Default Pantycelyn

John,
    Thank you for your detailed reply, and I will most certainly post you, privately, with the result of my researches

John Nicholas

Davidken,

You don't seem to have posted on the Brit-Gen forum over the past year, so I will also do a PM.

I have now acquired a copy of Volume 1 of the Gomer Roberts biography. My Welsh is not really up to a translation but I can understand a certain amount. Anyway, there are 2 family trees - of William Williams's branch, and of the wider Williams family starting 1/2 generations before. There is also a listing of William Williams's children (8, of whom 1 died in infancy), with their marriages, children and (in a couple of cases) grandchildren.

Unfortunately, I see no reference to either Hopcyn (or variants) or Lewis families, except for WW's mother, Dorothy Lewis of Pantycelyn.

Let me know whether you already have what you want or would like more details.

John

Jen Whitehead

Smile william william pantycelyn

Hi

I am also researching the family of William Williams Pantycelyn. I am the fourth generation granddaughter of William Williams. Unfortunately the older relatives of my family are now gone, and I cannot remember which daughter we are descended from. Hence the research. As you are aware. William had two sons. Both had no issue. The daughters are Amelia, Anne, Elizabeth, Maria Sophia (died 2 weeks old) Mary Sophia and Sarah. Sarah's descendents live at the farmhouse in Pentregwyn. You mention that the biography by Gomer Roberts lists the marriages, and grandchildren of William. Could you help me with some of daughters marriage details, and grandchildrens names.

Thanks
    Jen Whitehead

John Nicholas

Jen,

I can send you some images by PM - see my other message.
    John

Kelvin Skyrme

Default William Williams Pantycelyn

Hello,
    I too am trying to research the descendants of William Williams Pantycelyn as my wife was told by her grandmother many years ago that she was a descendant. If anyone has a copy of the details from the Gomer Roberts biography or any other information I would be grateful.
    Best Regards,
    Kelvin.

John Nicholas

Hello Kelvin,

I will send you by PM some images of the appendix pages from the Gomer Roberts biography. It's all in Welsh, but you'll probably get the gist (if not try asking).

Direct descendants of WW are all through female lines, and therefore not Williams, except perhaps through later marriages into other Williams families. All his sons died without issue.

My grandmother made the same claims as yours (perhaps they all did!). I think there might be something in mine, but it would be a connection with the wider family and not directly with WW, I think.

John

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi John,

My mother-in-law also claims descent from William Williams, but she is now of an age where her powers of recall are limited and unreliable. I have traced her Welsh ancestry back to Davies, Morgan, Llewellyn and Phillips, all born 1790-1810 in Swansea area and Pembrokeshire.

Is it possible to have details of WW's children/grandchildren so that I may check if there is any substance to her claim, please?

Vic

Kelvin Skyrme

Default Williams Claims

Well there seem to be a few claimants to the descendancy of William Williams Pantycelyn. No wonder the current incumbent of the farm smiled when I visited last year and told him of my interest, "Yes", he said, "We get quite a few"! Pantycelyn is worth a visit though, Mr & Mrs Williams (he's a descendant through a female line marrying another Williams), were glad to show us around and we signed the visitors book and took a few photos.
    My interest stems from my wife's Gr Grandmother, Margaret Williams, born Aberdare. We thought we may be on track when we found that her Grandfather, William Williams, was born in Llandovery, near to Pantycelyn, but there the trail goes cold. The connection may have been wishful thinking on the grandparents' part but I'll keep digging where I can. Thanks to all for the help.
    Kelvin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast