Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rhys John

Smile Williams Pantycelyn

In a similar position trying to prove truth of family story. One new source. William Williams 1791 will is now online at NLW site, so helps by telling us which daughters were married, and their married names as at 1791. Amelia married Thomas Howel (hard to read) and Anne married Philip Thomas. Another strand says that Sarah later married into Griffith(s) family. And of course all may have married or remarried after 1791. But hope this helps you and others.

Rhys John

nigelhadley

Hello,

John if you're still on the forum I'd be very interested if you could send me the appendix pages of the Gomer Roberts biography.
    I am descended from WWP's grandfather - you can see me links here;
    https://www.hadley.org.uk/family-tree...ly-tree-1a.htm
    Would be really interested to clear up any further links.

Regards

Nigel

John Nicholas

Hello Nigel,

Yes, I think I've seen your online tree before. I'll send you some images in a private message.

John

Tristan Clee

I'm believe I am 5th Generation of William Williams Pantycelyn through his son Rees Williams (1759)

John Nicholas

Hello Tristan,

I am sorry to disappoint you, but the authoritative biography of WWP (in Welsh) indicates but two sons, William and John, both clergymen and both dying unmarried and without issue. There is no evidence of a Rees (or Rhys) in the relevant appendices showing direct family and the wider clan.

John

dlpbach

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Whitehead View Post
    Hi

I am also researching the family of William Williams Pantycelyn. I am the fourth generation granddaughter of William Williams. Unfortunately the older relatives of my family are now gone, and I cannot remember which daughter we are descended from. Hence the research. As you are aware. William had two sons. Both had no issue. The daughters are Amelia, Anne, Elizabeth, Maria Sophia (died 2 weeks old) Mary Sophia and Sarah. Sarah's descendents live at the farmhouse in Pentregwyn. You mention that the biography by Gomer Roberts lists the marriages, and grandchildren of William. Could you help me with some of daughters marriage details, and grandchildrens names.

Thanks
    Jen Whitehead
    Hello Jen,

I believe I am also 4th generation, but possibly 5th. My grandfather was either the son or grandson of Sarah. The details I have are vague because it's just my mother's memories of things her father used to mention when she was small, although I have an uncle whose done some research. I don't know if I may be able to be of some help.

John Nicholas

I have received the following PM from dlpbach:

“I'm attempting to trace back my family line to William Williams, and am really only going from vague details that my Mother remembers from when she was young. My Grandfather was Raymond Davies, and was the grandson of Sarah Griffiths who I believe was William William's daughter. My Mother believes that Sarah may be buried in Rhydgoch cemetery in Pontardulais.

If you have any information that you believe may help me in this little project, I would be so grateful.

Many thanks,
    Debbie”

As I think it is not very helpful to have such conversations off-forum, I am answering Debbie here. This also gives me the chance to make some general points which others might find useful.

1. There is something wrong with the information Debbie has been given. As I am definitely NOT an expert on William WILLIAMS Pantycelyn (WWP), least of all on his descendants, I cannot say what the error is. A point to bear in mind is that, if all the people who claim some kinship with him in modern-day Wales were correct, he’d have needed about 150 children!
    2. I do have a copy of a definitive biography by Gomer Morgan Roberts. This book is in Welsh, a language in which I am, shall we say, challenged. Naturally the biography concentrates on the life and works of WWP and any genealogical information is limited to a couple of appendices.
    3. From the biography, the children of WWP (1717-1791) and Mary FRANCIS (1723-1799) were:
    Amelia Mariah (1750-1846) married Thomas POWELL
    William (1751-1818)
    John (1754-1828)
    Anne (1756-1831) married Philip THOMAS
    Mary Sophia (1758-) died before 1762??
    Elizabeth Margaretta (1761-1833)
    Maria Sophia (1762-1853) married Samuel GRIFFITHS
    Sarah (1764-1855) married William DAVIES
    4. As far as I know, all the marriages of the children are shown. In particular, the two sons remained unmarried and so no legitimate descendants acquired the Williams surname from WWP.
    5. Despite WWP’s ‘adoption’ by non-conformism and a sometimes fractious relationship with his church superiors because of his style and beliefs, WWP was, and remained throughout his life, a clergyman of the Anglican Church. His two sons were also clergymen of the established church.

So, Debbie, I’m sorry I can’t give you any confirmation of what you’ve been told. If you’ve established a link to a Sarah Griffiths, should you consider the possibility that she was the daughter of Maria Sophia and Samuel, and therefore the granddaughter of WWP? But now is the time for certificates and parish register entries (or non-conformist equivalents) to really link people together.

John

webfusion

I am a descendant of William in that I am a great great great great grandchild of his on my grandmothers side. I would really like to obtain some lineage of my history as I was adopted at birth. Thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The discussion on William Williams is most interesting. Does anyone know of his sisters? I believe he had 3 but family trees only show one, Mary (1721-1751), who married Morgan Price.
    The background to my query is : - 'that Morgan Thomas married Catherine , the grand daughter of a sister of William Williams Pantycelyn and that sister married David Rees Penhydd, father of Sheneyn Penhydd. The correct name of Sheneyn Penhydd was Sheneyn Rees but he changed it to Sheneyn Thomas at the request of an old preacher named William Thomas of Pyle.'

I think Thomas Rees was Sheneyn 's father and Sheneyn was a nephew of David Rees Penhydd. My information is based on 'The History of Llansamlet' by Rev Samlet Williams.

Any help welcome.

John Nicholas

I believe that you are right, Smee; William Williams had 3 sisters, only one of whom is named in the biography by Gomer Morgan Roberts. The sequence of children born to John Williams and Dorothy Lewis is given by Roberts as: 2 sons (unnamed), who died young; a daughter, unnamed; William; Mary, whom you mention, 1721-51; a further unnamed daughter. Not surprisingly, any marriages or offspring of the two unnamed daughters are not shown.

I am not familiar with the book on Llansamlet. However, that name "Sheneyn" looks very suspect. Are you sure it is not Siencyn, pronounced Shenkin and the origin of the surname Jenkins?

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast