Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Okay - a couple of hints. You never know, you might find a rellie in these places!

https://www.naa.gov.au/
    https://www.ww2roll.gov.au/

The first website is the National Archives of Australia.
    The place to find grandad's service record for WW1 is via "Recordsearch" from the front page.

The second website is the WW2 Nominal Roll - which will supply the correct answer to 9b - however, I had forgotten about all this being on my website, which will give a slightly different answer (all in the transcribing of the place by the authorities)

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnB View Post
    I would suggest visiting Christine's excellent web site........

Best wishes
    Ann
    Ann,

Thanks for the clue.

I learned something else as well about the forum.

When I looked at Christine's post I could find no reference to her own website - just on the off-chance I clicked on her name at the top of a post, and there it was "visit Christine's homepage".

Maybe everyone else knew about this function and I am just slow off the mark.

Now it takes me even longer to read the forum as I have to look to see who has a homepage - good job I'm retired!!

Maggie

busyglen

Christine....just to let you know that I have failed dismally in completing the competition as I started it, and have been so busy with other bits and pieces that I haven't had the time to sit down and search. There's a bit of time left so I do hope that I can find a slot to sit and concentrate soon. At least I've gleaned a `few' clues in the process!

Glenys

You have a few weeks left, plenty of time.

C

nudge

Still time to get those entries in!

nudge

The comp will finish midnight on 18th February - but I did not specify which zone!

So I had better make it the 19th February MELBOURNE, Australia, time and then no-one will be left out!

ChristineR

Default And the answers are...

1. Wouter Loos and Jan Pelgrom de Bye - in 1629, these two men were left on the Australian mainland? Why.

Dutch Mutineers from the Batavia, Wouter Loos and Jan Pelgrom de Bye, avoided execution when they were sentenced to be marooned on the Australian mainland.

2. When did official European settlement of Australia begin?

The first European settlement of Australia was when the First Fleet arrived on 26 January 1788.

3. Australia celebrates Australia Day on January 26th - what other country celebrates this day?

India - Republic Day.

4. How many ships were in the "First Fleet"?

Eleven

5. Convicts were transported to Australia for the next 80 years. How many? (choose from a, b, or c)
    a) 162,000; b) 148,000 or c) 125,000

a) 162,000

6. Everyone got a perfect score for the Australian BDM certificate question because I messed up the question.

We do not actually have an "Australian" certificate as such, there not being a central registrar office at a national level. Each event is registered in the State that it took place. Following one submitted answer, I now know that any Australian who dies overseas may be registered at the Australian Capital Territory Registrar-Generals Office.

7. What is the AIF?

The Australian Imperial Force - volunteer Australian Army forces dispatched to fight overseas during World War I and World War II.

8. Robert Holland, born Bolton, Lancashire - what date did he sign up with the AIF in the first world war?

30th September 1914

9a. Robert Holland - What colour were his eyes?

Blue or grey accepted here - My website gives both colours, grey when he joined the Navy, blue from the Army service record.

9b. WW2 - What birth date and place of birth is recorded in his records for Robert Holland on his enlistment.

6th February 1888 at Queensferny, or Queensferry, Scotland. The first spelling is on the WW2 Nominal Roll (taken from his service file), the second is on my website.

10. What date did BoBeep join the BGForum?

Profile states 26/10/04

11. Name any one product I could purchase from the Parish Chest to try to find any information about my grandfather who joined the Navy, aged 11, in 1899 training in Scotland. He deserted the Navy in New Zealand 1908. He was born 1884 at Bolton, Lancashire. [any one of the correct answers will be accepted]

1901 Navy List
    1901 census for shipping

(Parish registers do not fall in the time frame, Bolton Abbey is in Yorkshire)

12. What is Mr Drake's forename? (no, I do not mean Sir Francis)

Frank

13. What is BoBeep's real name?

Pam or Pamela Drake

14. When was BoPeep's baby, the Parish Chest, born?

December, 2002

Default And the winners are....

Well, that was easy

Out of the top three entries, two did not want the prizes, entering just for fun, so out they go, no drawing from the hat needed!

That leaves MUTLEY as outright winner.

There were three in contention for the next two spots at 13/15 answers correct each, but one of those was 'just for fun' too.

So, runners up...
    margarita
    and
    busyglen

BoPeep will get in touch about your prize.

Thanks to everyone who entered.

ChristineR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast