Frank W

Default Shelton, Yorkshire

This appears as the quoted birthplace in a Middlesex 1861 Census, for a 19yr old Railwayman. (The Census image is quite clear and distinct)

Google cannot find it. Does it still exist? Or is it now in a different county?

What would be the nearest town of reasonable size?

Regards............Frank W

https://mysite.orange.co.uk/cendexes

Davran

Have you found him in 1851? Was he in his birthplace then?

There is a Shelton in Nottinghamshire, which is not too far from Yorkshire. Maybe the enumerator or whoever filled in the census form guessed the county?

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Skelton?

Have a look at this page on GENUKI - a list of places in Yorkshire. There doesn't appear to be a Shelton, but there are lots of possibilities for Skelton. (Although what you see in the census may be clear, that's the enumerator's interpretation of what the householder wrote, and that could have been verging on the illegible.)

But as Davran says, see what other censuses say.

Arthur

Frank W

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I should perhaps explain that I am currently transcribing a Census Piece for FreeCEN, and like to check on the validity of the Birthplace details on the Enumerators pages. The placenames may be of large towns, Parishes, small hamlets and other places too small to be listed in Gazetteers.

Most placenames can be found in the FreeCEN Genie Gazetteer, or ParLoc (the Parish Locator program) but Google provides a source of placenames and maps to help identify a placename.

Google could pick up only one reference to Shelton, Yorkshire:

================================================== ===
    Joan DE RERESBY

* Born: Abt 1278, Shelton, Yorkshire, England
    * Marriage (1): Sir John FITZWILLIAM
    * Marriage (2): Robert EYRE

Looking at related sites and Gedcoms etc it seems that the Shelton placename actually referred to the Shelton in Norfolk (Depwade district),
    and the Yorkshire connection came from her family connection at Thribergh:
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    Name: Jane (Joan) de Reresby
    Sex: F
    Birth: ABT 1292 in Shelton, Depwade, Norfolk, England

Father: Adam de Reresby , of Thribergh Sir Knight
    b: ABT 1270 in Thribergh, Yorkshire, England

So there is apparently no Shelton placename in Yorkshire, and the 19yr old Railwayman still has an unknown PoB. Could be Skelton,Yorks or Shelton in another county. I won't chase this, as it will be sufficient to leave a note for the FreeCEN Checker/Validator.

Regards.........Frank W

Quote Originally Posted by Frank W View Post
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I should perhaps explain that I am currently transcribing a Census Piece for FreeCEN, and like to check on the validity of the Birthplace details on the Enumerators pages. The placenames may be of large towns, Parishes, small hamlets and other places too small to be listed in Gazetteers.

Most placenames can be found in the FreeCEN Genie Gazetteer, or ParLoc (the Parish Locator program) but Google provides a source of placenames and maps to help identify a placename.

Google could pick up only one reference to Shelton, Yorkshire:

Joan DE RERESBY

* Born: Abt 1278, Shelton, Yorkshire, England
    * Marriage (1): Sir John FITZWILLIAM
    * Marriage (2): Robert EYRE

Looking at related sites and Gedcoms etc it seems that the Shelton placename actually referred to the Shelton in Norfolk (Depwade district),
    and the Yorkshire connection came from her family connection at Thribergh:
    Name: Jane (Joan) de Reresby
    Sex: F
    Birth: ABT 1292 in Shelton, Depwade, Norfolk, England

Father: Adam de Reresby , of Thribergh Sir Knight
    b: ABT 1270 in Thribergh, Yorkshire, England

So there is apparently no Shelton placename in Yorkshire, and the 19yr old Railwayman still has an unknown PoB. Could be Skelton,Yorks or Shelton in another county. I won't chase this, as it will be sufficient to leave a note for the FreeCEN Checker/Validator.

Regards.........Frank W
    This is probably Skelton in Yorkshire North Riding, as I have just encountered the same spelling error while chasing an ancestor in 1861. "Shelton" nearly threw me but when I tried Skelton instead some corroborating evidence fell into place and all was resolved.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Domeyhead, and thanks for that evidence.

Unfortunately, you've joined a very old thread (see top left of the messages) and Frank W is no longer a member (that's why he's tagged as a guest). We are not allowed to keep info about ex members, so he can't be informed about your message.

Why not have a look round, find a suitable sub-forum and tell us something about your research?