Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    everton_fc

Default Any chance finding this name? : TOOZE

This is a bit of a strange request and I'm kind of hoping someone can help...

My great grand mother "Frances Jane Tooze" born around 1880 married a "Frederick Dixon" (born around 1873) in 1900(ish), in Bath, Somerset.

My mum is desparate to find out more about Frances Jane Tooze, and all we know is that she had a brother called Frederick Tooze and their mum died when they were quite young. We are unsure whether she was born in Bath but she most certainly married and died there.

Apparently, after the death of the mum, the family split, and Frederick took Frances under his wing. Some other members of the family moved to Canada apparently....

Is it possible to find out more about Frances Jane Tooze, her parents and place of birth? and if so, can someone help?

Many thanks

I know you said her name was Frances Jane but as you said she was adopted I thought the following entry in the 1891 census would be of interest

RG12; Piece: 1937; Folio 8; Page 10

20 Milk Street, Walcot, Bath

Everyone in household born in Bath

William GRIMES 23 mason's labourer
    Ann GRIMES wife 28
    William GRIMES son 8mo
    Emily Frances TOOZE dau (adopted) 2
    Mary GRIMES sister 24 pipe maker
    John GRIMES brother 17 pipe maker

On second thoughts this is probably not her as she would have been too young to get married in 1900.

YOUR Frances TOOZE married Frederick DIXON Bath Sept qtr 1900 Vol 5c page 952. If you have not already got the marriage certificate this should be your next step, as it will confirm her age at marriage and who her parents were
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Copper

From Bath BMD and Free BMD Frances Tooze married in 1900, so she can't be the Emily above.

I can't find her birth registration in the Bath BMD. I also can't find her in the 1881 census or the 1891.

everton_fc

Cool - thanks for that

Just spoken to my mum and it turns out they Frances Jane wasn't adopted - her mum died (not sure what happened to the dad) and as a result of the death of the mum, the family split.

Frederick, her brother, took her under his wing and either moved to Bath, and apparently, some other relatives moved to Canada but cant be too sure on that one

I shall edit my original post - so if she wasnt adopted, there must be a record of her birth somewhere, along with her brothers - would love to know where she was born and who her parents were. My mum is pretty sure she wasnt born in Bath but who knows?!?!?

Thanks

nina

The 1901 census shows a Francis (born 1881) married to Frederick Dixon. It says she was born at Bath. The marriage is recorded in bmd as taking place in 1900

RG13; Piece: 2340; Folio: 71; Page: 8.

Nina

Devonmade

Found this birth registration on Bath BMD

TOOES Frances Jane, Lansdown Bath, 1880, Mothers surname TOOGOOD, Reference LNS/28/156

Copper

Ah how old was she in 1901? There is this birth registration in Free BMD

1875 Mar Wellington 5c 365 - Frances Tooze

Looks like Devonmade has cracked it.

everton_fc

Quote Originally Posted by Devonmade View Post
    Found this birth registration on Bath BMD

TOOES Frances Jane, Lansdown Bath, 1880, Mothers surname TOOGOOD, Reference LNS/28/156
    That looks interesting - as that Frances Jane had a brother called Frederick!

Devonmade

Hi

I see there was also another sibling named Courtney Owen born in 1882, however he died in 1883.

Sue

janbooth

Default Frances Jane TOOES/TOOZE

Following on from what Devonmade has found for you, there is a marriage registration in the June qtr 1871 at Bath registration district, vol 5c, page 1135 of an Edward TOOES and a corresponding entry for an Elizabeth TOOGOOD.

In the 1881 census of Walcot, Lansdown, Bath (RG11/2442, folio 37, page 25) there is the following family:

8 High Street
    Edward C TOOES Head Mar 31 Painter Somerset Bath
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 30 do do
    Edward do Son 4 Scholar do do
    Frederick do Son 2 do do
    Francis do Son 9 mo do do

It looks as though the enumerator may have put the wrong spelling and sex for the Francis shown above as all the details seem to fit with the Frances Jane registered in 1880. There are 2 death registrations for Edward Charles TOOES in the September qtr 1882 at Bath registration district, vol 5c, page 358 aged 31 and vol 5c, page 373, aged 5 so it looks as though both Edwards in the above family died.

However, there the trail seems to come to an end as I cannot find either Elizabeth, Frederick or Frances in the 1891 census records. There is a marriage registration in the December qtr 1890 at Bath registration district, vol 5c, page 1049 of an Elizabeth TOOSE to either a William GRIMES or a George TAYLOR but who knows whether she is the widow of Edward Charles.

HTH in some way.

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast