Thread: Magner Family

Ozgirl:

Default Magner Family

Gidday All, seeking any info Thomas William Magner son of John Magner born 1840 Clonmel and after sponsor Joseph Heffernan paid his deposit emigrated to Australia where he married Catherine Mary McNamara in 1868 Bega, NSW and died there 1885. Catherine died 1935 in Sydney, NSW. They had nine children - Patrick born 1870 my g/grandfather.
    Anything at all appreciated. Thanks.
    Best wishes, Debbie.

betsy

Default Magner

Hi Debbie,

I was very interested in your post. I am trying to trace my husband's family, and the furthest I have gotten is John Magner, born about 1832, I believe in Cork, Ireland, who relocated to Birkenhead, England about 1857. There was a John Magner in every generation thereafter, right up to my husband John, 5 generations later.

I have not been able to find any info at all on John's family pre-England, but I was struck by the similarity of the names -- your Thomas William was the son of John Magner; my John Magner had a son John Thomas -- and of course Cork and Tipperary are adjoining counties. Connected or was this just a very common name?

Anyway, would love to hear more of your Thomas William and how you traced the info on his sponsor, etc., and any info you have on the family in Ireland.

Betsy

Ozgirl:

Default Magner Family

Hello Betsy, yes they had some good solid names didn't they!
    I learned about my Thomas from a connection I found via Internet - who had already researched his arrival in Aust aboard "John Temperley" in 1865. The archive gave info about his sponsor J. Heffernan (also from same county). I haven't had any other response to the name except yourself, so have no other info about his early years. I know that he was a Blacksmith, so maybe that's a clue to his father's occupation? His sons were blacksmiths, saddlers, butchers in the Bega District in New South Wales.
    I have a contact now through Magner and Macnamara families who have both been very helpful. Just written off to another, waiting to see what eventuates. Hope this helps you in your searching, one way or another. Elimination is another facet of it hey? Best wishes, Debbie.

betsy

Thanks for the info, Debbie! Really appreciate hearing from you.

I'm not surprised you haven't had any other replies -- Magner appears to be a relatively uncommon surname apart from the Castlemagner area of Ireland, where we probably all got our "start".

My first John Magner was a boilermaker's helper, so I was also guessing his father (likely another John) may have been a blacksmith. Who knows, maybe someday we'll find our John Magners have a common ancestor!

I'll post again if I find anything that may be of interest to you.

Betsy

locallad27

Magner surname, Tipperary here;
    https://search.labs.familysearch.org