Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    calgacus

My family are Annises from Gloucestershire originally. I traced them at first to Wolverhampton, where my great-grandfather was born, then on to Oxfordshire, from where they migrated in the 1850s or so. They seem to have gradually moved across from Gloucestershire to Oxfordshire in the 1700s. I guess that is where your family and mine were separated. We also have several Solomon Annises. It seems to have been a common family name, along with Shadrick, William, James, Mary, Hannah, and Richard.

Anyway, I have a rough line drawn back to about 1570 based around Bicknor and Upton in Gloucs, although with little guarantee of accuracy. I did find somewhere online (although not sure where) a list of men available for military service in one of the Gloucestershire villages (from around the mid-1500s) which showed two Annises, one an archer, the other armed with a dirk or something. I'll have to try and locate that again.

David Annis

Sorry for the late reply, work and such has kept me away.
    Yes Annis's are Gloucestershire folk. I have only got back to around 1717 with Richard Hannis and his wife Sarah at, Upton St Leonards, Glos.
    They move on to live at Naunton near Stow on the Wold and have a large family there, which is then traceable to my Solomon Annis, at Alderton, Glos.

I have not yet found out who Richards wife Sarah is, her maiden name or where she is from.
    Richard Hannis's, father, it appears is yet again, a Solomon and his wife is called Mary. Both I suppose are from Upton St Leonards area but I have found nothing as yet of these two.
    The two spellings Hannis and Annis seem to appear from time to time, possible down to who was ever writting the the name into whatever registry.
    I might add that I did hear of a few of us up in the Isle Of Sky.
    We have London Annis's. Again, I have heard that they worked in the palaces as footmen and the like. Also that we Annis's where soldiers of fortune, hell pirates. Yo ho ho.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Oh, send me a private message with your email.

TerenceR

Default Annis and Woolams

David,

This is my first post so I hope this is helpful.

I see that Jeremy has pointed you to the 1881 census, if you look on the 1901 census you will find Thomas Annis and Elizabeth Hannah Woolams had 6 children in total including my grandmother Alice Naomi Annis. The family moved to Aston in Birmingham between 1881 and 1883 when Alice was born.

Thomas's father Solomon was born in 1828 in Holy Croft Pershore and he also married a Woolams (Ann Woolams 1831 daughter of Thomas and Jane Woolams 1791). As you know Solomon's father was Solomon born in Alderton Gloucestershire in 1799. I have found a reference to his christening in Worcestershire: Bushley - Parish Registers (Christenings, Marriages, Burials), 1538-1812 27 Jan 1799 Solomon, son of John & Elizabeth Annis.

That's as far back as I have gone with Annis.

The Woolams family were tinkers....Elizabeth Hannah Woolams father was John Woolams born about 1822 in Pershore and his father was William Woolams born about 1796 in Pershore.

Regards

TerenceR

David Annis

Thank you TerranceR
    I will check out your posting. Your Solomon tho is not the same as mine.
    As for the Woolhams they are established in Pershore in the 1720s so it will be interesting as to where you spotted the tinker side of the family.
    There are a number of Annis's or Hannis in Gloucestershire so you have to be carefull that you dont go down the wrong track. This happens to all of us from time to time. Solomon is a very popular name in the Annis tribe.
    Cheers
    Dave.

samgibbons56

Quote Originally Posted by TerenceR View Post
    David,

This is my first post so I hope this is helpful.

I see that Jeremy has pointed you to the 1881 census, if you look on the 1901 census you will find Thomas Annis and Elizabeth Hannah Woolams had 6 children in total including my grandmother Alice Naomi Annis. The family moved to Aston in Birmingham between 1881 and 1883 when Alice was born.

Thomas's father Solomon was born in 1828 in Holy Croft Pershore and he also married a Woolams (Ann Woolams 1831 daughter of Thomas and Jane Woolams 1791). As you know Solomon's father was Solomon born in Alderton Gloucestershire in 1799. I have found a reference to his christening in Worcestershire: Bushley - Parish Registers (Christenings, Marriages, Burials), 1538-1812 27 Jan 1799 Solomon, son of John & Elizabeth Annis.

That's as far back as I have gone with Annis.

The Woolams family were tinkers....Elizabeth Hannah Woolams father was John Woolams born about 1822 in Pershore and his father was William Woolams born about 1796 in Pershore.

Regards

TerenceR
    Hi,
    The tinker may have come for the Pr's for Pershore, Woolams is transcribed as Woollams,Wollams?, try a search on Freereg with a soundex and you will find John s/o William and Hannah Woollams 3 Nov 1822.
    HTH
    Regards
    Sam

David Annis

Thank you Sam for your help.
    I do know some of the Woolhams family and was aware of the two femail Woolhams that married an Annis. As for the rest of the Woolhams family I have not traced them very far, as I have masses of sons and daughters, husbands, wives and son in laws and daughter in laws and all their kith and kin to keep me going, for a while.
    The Woolhams or Woollhams were certainly in Pershore in the early 1700s. Just across the border in Tewkesbury there is another collection of Woolhams and into Warwickshire it seems that Shipston on Stour was alive with them. TerrenceR has advised me that he has a wedding certificate that states that the Woolhams were tinkers and that fathers and sons were knifegrinders by trade.
    It was my understanding, wrongly it seems, that tinkers were travelling folk with no fixed abode along the same lines as the Romanies. Yet the Woolams were living in the Holy Cross area of Pershore as far back as 1720.
    Cheers
    Dave.

AnnisFamily

Hi David,
    Michael Annis here. I have records of several Pershore Annis men that served during both World Wars. They can be seen at
    angelfire.com/mi/annisall/allhonor_allies.html

Please visit the Annis Family Association web site at
    angelfire.com/mi/annisall/index2.html
    and have a look around. Although most of the information there is of the Annis Family in the US and Canada (descendants primarily of Charles (1638-1717 or Andrew Annis (1690- ?), we are working hard at putting hands across the water and getting back in touch with our UK cousins.

Best Regards,

Michael James Annis
    Annis Family Association

P.S. Would love to start a branch of the AFA in England if you know of anyone interested.
    Last edited by MarkJ; 11-09-2009 at 5:35 PM. Reason: commercial link removed

David Annis

Welcome to British-Genealogy Michael.
    I certainly will have a look at the site that you have suggested. As far as I know none of the Annis's in Pershore ever ventured to America. The clan here started in Pershore in the 1820s by Solomon Annis, who came from Gloucestershire. I have traced his family back to the early 1700's. There are Annis's also in Oxfordshire so there may well be a link there as well.
    My Grandfather James married Jane Beard and tracing her family I found that some of her ancesters became Mormon's and sailed to America.
    Cheers
    David.

AnnisFamily

Thanks David.
    I hope to be working with you in the future on the various Annis clans in the UK.
    My direct ancestor and original immigrant to Massachusetts was Charles "Cormac" Annis.
    He was born in Enniskillen, Ireland. His father was supposedly an English soldier serving at that walled city during Cromwell's era. His mother was Irish and this would explain the fact that he is often referred to as Cormac or Cormack ( decidedly Irish name) in the early Massachusetts Bay Colony records.
    There are many Annis families in the US. We have prospered here.

Regards

Michael

Janet M

I have recently joined the forum and have found that my great great Grandfather Thomas Palfrey b 1816 in Pershore had a sister Ann Palfrey b 1799 she married Solomon Annis b 1799 Alderton Glos. They had a son Solomon who married Ann Woolams.
    Janet M

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast