Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anne W

Default What is a yeoman?

Hi All,
    What exactly is a Yeoman? I have my husbands gg Grandfather James Inman in the 1841 census living in Sedbergh Yorkshire listed as Yeoman. He seems to be employing a few Ag labs, but so do his neighbours who are listed as Farmers. What is the difference? Nothing more than idle curiosity on my part, but it would be nice to know!

Thanks Anne

suedent

A yeoman is generally used to mean a farmer who owns his own piece of land (however small) as opposed to being a tenant farmer. It may have been as simple as him wanting to sound a bit grander than his neighbours.

Geoffers

The term Yeoman has varied over the centuries. By 1841 I think it is likely to be used by a freehold farmer - someone who was of slightly higher standing than copyhold or tenant farmers. He wasn't rich enough not to work on the farm himself and so wouldn't style himself as a gentleman farmer.

Use of the word may vary from county to county according to local custom - if anyone with specific knowledge of Yorkshire local history comes up with a better answer, please take what they say in preference to my ramblings.

Anne W

Thanks for that. By 1851 census he is described as a "Land Proprieter and farmer" of 50 acres, so it makes sense. If he is anything like his g grandaughter, my mother-in-law, he WOULD be putting on airs!
    Bye Anne

jeeb

Default Yeoman

Hi Anne,
    Sue & Geoffers have already given you the correct meaning of yeoman but because I have always been connected with the agricultral business I wanted to add my two-penny worth too!
    In medieval England and well into the 18th century Yeoman was used to describe land owners considered only one step down from the gentry classes. They would have been free men living in large country farmhouses and employing many indoor/outdoor servants. In latter years the term became more loosely used by farmers (though mainly the owners of land) who wished to sound grander than their 'mere farmer' neighbours.

Jeremy

Anne W

I have another question if thats ok. Yeoman James Inmans son Robert (b1842) becomes a doctor and his wifes name was Ann. According to the 1881 census, Ann was born in Sedbergh. FreeBDM has a Robert Inman marrying an Ann Leighton in Sept 1871. Trouble is the only Ann Leighton from Sedbergh I can find is the daughter of the local Blacksmith.The age is right. My knowledge of English society in the 1800's comes solely from Upstairs Downstairs so a Blacksmiths daughter marrying a Doctor seems a strange match. Should I be looking for another Ann Leighton? Or am I downgrading Blacksmiths?
    Thanks again Anne.

Reputation beyond repute

You'll need at least one of the birth certificates from that union and, once you have the mother's maiden name confirmed, you can get the marriage certificate.

suedent

I wouldn't discount it, in Polperro a doctor & emminent amateur scientist (Dr Jonathan Couch) married 3 times. Wife number 2 was the daughter of a sailor & wife number 3 was the daughter of a coastguardsman.

jeeb

Default Social Status

Quote Originally Posted by Anne W View Post
    My knowledge of English society in the 1800's comes solely from Upstairs Downstairs so a Blacksmiths daughter marrying a Doctor seems a strange match.
    Hi Anne,
    English social status in the 18th-19th century was based more upon wealth than occupation. Large land owners and merchants as well as members of the clergy were considered of higher social standing than ' poorly paid professional people' such as doctors and teachers. A Blacksmith would have been an important part of the community in Victorian England, a professional man if he owned his own business and considered of equal status to a doctor in the village community.

Jeremy

Anne W

Thank you all very much for the help. I've had a fascinating time tracing the Inmans and Leightons and I'm 95% sure that the Blacksmiths daughter from Sedbergh Ann Leighton is the same Ann Leighton who marries Dr Robert Inman in Sep 1871, though I cant be totally sure unless I get the Marriage Certificate. Dr Robert dies in Dec 1883 in Sedbergh at the age of only 42. His daughter, my husbands grandmother Laurie Inman is born in June 1884. Poor Ann! Now all I have to do is get Ann, Laurie and the other children from Sedbergh Yorkshire to Shap Westmorland by WW1, when I know for a fact Laurie marries James Batemen Lowis and after the war immigrates to Australia.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Anne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast