Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Teisar

Default Yeoman

A Yeoman would have owned his own land, and allowed the vote but before the police force was set up he would have been called on if there was civil unrest or a war, he was given a pension and if he died his wife would have had a pension.

Smyrnami

Default Benjamin Inman of Yorkshire

Hi Anne,

Have you had any luck with your Inman's farther back? I'm looking for my Benjamin Inman born April 13, 1766 in Yorkshire. He marries a lass named Rachel and they move to the U.S. (New Jersey). Just wondering if we can help each other out.

Thanks,
    Kim

Anne W

Hi Kim,
    So far I have only gotten back to James Inman b1809 d1866in Sedbergh, Yorkshire. I have established that Ann Leighton, blacksmiths daughter, IS the same Ann Leighton who married Dr Robert Inman in Sept 1871.
    I wouldn't be surprised if your Benjamin is somehow connected to my lot. Was he a farmer do you know?

Witchypoo

Post Yeoman

Hi

Just to add my tuppence worth whilst doing the Prior line ... back in mid 1600's the baptism records also burial records showed this line as a yeoman ... 700. When I ask at the local record office they replied that he had at least 700 men he could rely on, and they were Yeoman were people who were considered Pillars of the community, High up the ladder so to speak.

One assumes this means in the case of war etc that Henry wasnt short of man power. One part of this line was a Brickmaker and one seem to be Good ole fashion Ag Labs.

Would any one else like to comment on why the 700.... in the first column.!!! I am entriqued.

Regards

Witchypoo

Famous for offering help & advice

A yeoman as an occupation makes my ancestry searching alot harder...... guess what the "y" in susan-y stands for?
    PS> My husband is VERY PROUD of his last name and heritage that goes with it

Sue

Witchypoo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    A yeoman as an occupation makes my ancestry searching alot harder...... guess what the "y" in susan-y stands for?
    PS> My husband is VERY PROUD of his last name and heritage that goes with it

Sue
    At a quess " mmmm Yeoman" by any chance.. Good luck in your reseach.

Regards

Witchypoo

neil_bur

Just to add more - I also have yeomen in the family tree and beside what has already been correctly said formed in 1761, yeomen were a cavalry force of part timers/ volunteers for home defence - Hence 'Yeomen of the guard'

spison

My sympathies Susan-y,
    I'm researching Ison and I get lots of hits similar to 'The cushion IS ON the chair" It's very frustrating.
    Jane

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Ison View Post
    My sympathies Susan-y,
    I'm researching Ison and I get lots of hits similar to 'The cushion IS ON the chair" It's very frustrating.
    Jane
    Try searching using
    "ison"
    Note that it is important that you put the search term in the inverted commas, your search engine will then look for the exact phrase in the inverted commas. If you are using Google see also their Advanced Search page (the link just to the right of the normal search box.

Such a technique will, for example, find hollands (one of my surnames of interest) but exclude holland

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moretti View Post
    If you are using Google see also their Advanced Search page
    How true. People shouldn't be hitting that sort of problem. One might add that it's a good idea to read the help pages, for example
    https://www.google.com/support/websea...&answer=136861

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast