Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Lydia Horton Oxford

Hi, Thought i may try to contact you again with maybe a bit of further info. I have had a distant relation contact me regards Lydia Matthews nee Horton i enquired about in the above thread. As above Lydia Horton born Jan 1816 Oxford,married Thomas Matthews and had daughter Elizabeth Lydia Matthews, who married Alfred charles Temple. Alfred charles temples Parents were Jonathan Temple and Mary Horton. In the census it has Mary Temple nee Horton born Oxford,around 1814 one saying Magdalen Oxford. In the 1841 census they lived in Blackfriar Rd Oxford, previously York where they married then back to York after Blackfriars Rd. Their son Newlands Temple i think was born Oxford 1841 census. My relation suggested that they may be related, sisters even, which would make the marriage 1st cousins. could be just a coincidence. Is there a place in Oxford called Magdalen or would it be referring to the church where she may have been baptised? A long shot i know.still stumped on the pesky Hortons. thank you.

janbooth

I would think it probably refers to St Mary Magdalen church in Magdalen Street, Oxford, which is also very close to St Giles church, Oxford, so in the right area for Lydia & Mary to perhaps be related.

Jonathan TEMPLE & Mary HORTON were married on 3 February 1834 at St Cuthbert, York, according to Ancestry's Select Marriages. I can find the baptism of their son Newlands on 10 June 1838 at St Ebbe Church, Oxford, parents Jonathan & Mary TEMPLE, Shoemaker, Blackfriars Road.

Oxfordshire FHS do sell the parish register transcripts of St Mary Magdalen which might prove beneficial to you.

There is a James HORTON living in the St Mary Magdalen area of Oxford in the 1841 census (HO107/891/12, folio 20, page 31) who coincidently is a Shoemaker as is his brother? Thomas aged 15. He looks to be married to an Eliza with a 6 month old daughter Eliza. They are living in the household of William & Ann WILLIS. 1851 census of St Ebbe, Oxford, shows this couple to be living at Friars Street, his year of birth being shown as c1819/20. According to the baptisms of their children at St Ebbe, this is Blackfriars Road where Jonathan & Mary TEMPLE were living when son Newlands was baptised - yet another coincidence! I can find Thomas HORTON, born c1824, in the 1871/81 census records of St Ebbe married to an Elizabeth & in the 1901 census of St Ebbe and he too is living just off Blackfriars Road and described as a widowed Boot Maker, so he could well be the Thomas HORTON I found baptised at St Giles in post 10 above.

I would think it likely that all these HORTONs are indeed connected but Oxfordshire parish records are conspicuous by their absence online. The only one of these HORTONs I can find on my parish register transcript cd is that of Thomas who was baptised at St Giles which was were your Lydia said she was born. The others were not baptised at St Ebbe, St Giles or St Michael (they are on my CD that I have) and as Mary TEMPLE nee HORTON states she was born at Magdalen, I would think that that is the best clue you have so far and well worth further investigation.

Janet

Wendy Archer

Quote Originally Posted by spacecookie View Post
    Hi, Thought i may try to contact you again with maybe a bit of further info. I have had a distant relation contact me regards Lydia Matthews nee Horton i enquired about in the above thread. As above Lydia Horton born Jan 1816 Oxford,married Thomas Matthews and had daughter Elizabeth Lydia Matthews, who married Alfred charles Temple. Alfred charles temples Parents were Jonathan Temple and Mary Horton. In the census it has Mary Temple nee Horton born Oxford,around 1814 one saying Magdalen Oxford. In the 1841 census they lived in Blackfriar Rd Oxford, previously York where they married then back to York after Blackfriars Rd. Their son Newlands Temple i think was born Oxford 1841 census. My relation suggested that they may be related, sisters even, which would make the marriage 1st cousins. could be just a coincidence. Is there a place in Oxford called Magdalen or would it be referring to the church where she may have been baptised? A long shot i know.still stumped on the pesky Hortons. thank you.
    Spacecookie -

As Jan has told you, the Oxfordshire transcribed parish registers are on CD - see on the left at www.oofhs.org.uk . However, OFHS also offers a Search Services - whereby a lookup can be done in the countywide databases, such as the baptism database, if you're not sure which is the relevant parish. Alan, who does the lookups, is very helpful. See Surname Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    It certainly looks as if you have the correct marriage as the parish register transcript of the marriage at St Michael shows Thomas to be aged 21 of Duns Tew and the son of William MATTHEWS, Farmer and Lydia to be aged 21 and the daughter of William HORTON, Farmer. Witnesses James HOARE? and Mary MATTHEWS. The way to prove that it is the correct marriage would be to purchase the birth certificate of one of their children which would confirm the mother's maiden name.

There is no baptism for a Lydia HORTON at St Michael Oxford and no HORTON entries during the period 1754-1852 except the marriage in 1839 so it does not look as if the HORTON family originated there. I note on the 1851 census that Lydia states she was born at Oxford St Giles but I cannot find a baptism for her in the parish register transcript of St Giles but there is one HORTON baptism at St Giles that of a Thomas HORTON on 18 January 1824 son of William & Ann HORTON, Labourer, Pawlin's Yard. Perhaps Lydia's family moved to St Giles when she was fairly young so always considered it her birth place?

Coincidentally, there is a marriage on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index on 17 August 1811 at Oxford St Aldate of a William HORTON & an Ann WILLIS, Lodger, which may perhaps be relevant to you. I do not have the PR transcripts of St Aldate so cannot give you any more details.

Will carry on looking.

Janet
    Hello.I have found a bit more info that may be relevant. sort of ties in. 1841 census In the household of William and Anne Willis, James Horton b 1819-20, Thomas Horton 15 (maybe the above Thomas bapt 18-1-1824). James married with Wife Eliz and daughter Eliz. William and Ann Willis are in their 60s-70s i think which could make the the parents of the Anne Willis married to William Horton-Ann Willis married 1818. Have since also found a Mary Horton born 1814 Oxford who we think is the sister of Lydia Horton. She married Jonathan Temple 3-2-1834 St Cuthberts York, and Lydia Horton married 1n 1939 so they would have been gone by the 1841 census, if and a big if, the above James and Thomas were her brothers, or maybe cousins. But the William Horton worked as a labourer, not a farmer as stated on Lydias wedding. The Hortons are so hard to put together. thanks Denise.

janbooth

You could do as Wendy has suggested in post 13 and request a look up for the baptisms of both Lydia & Mary HORTON, hopefully they will be found in St Mary Magdalen, Oxford, as you have their approximate birthdates from other sources. As Wendy has said, the FHS are very helpful and usually pretty quick in their response. I myself have used their look up facility in the past and it was certainly very cost-effective when I used it as I wasn't completely sure which parish(es) my ancestors hailed from.

Janet

Hello, thank you to both of you for the help. I did contact OFHS and they were very helpful and i now have the Bapt for Lydia Horton 1817 St Mary Magdalen, as well as Brother James , sadly no Mary or William, but was suggested they may have been born elswhere as it looked like they often spent long periods away from Oxford city. Will keep on looking, thanks.

Wendy Archer

Excellent!

janbooth

Great news and another example of how efficient, quick and cost effective is the Oxfordshire FHS look-up procedure. I should think it is fairly likely that Mary HORTON is part of the same family as Lydia, given that she stated Magdalen, Oxford was her birthplace in census records, so now it is a question of looking for her birth/baptism in surrounding areas. Good luck.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 26-03-2016 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Extra text

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12