Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marieparker

Smile researching MATTHEWS Deddington Oxfordshire 1800s

Researching MATTHEWS OF Deddington Oxfordshire 1800s Marie Parker

janbooth

Default MATTHEWS in Deddington

Marie,

Who in particular are you looking for? There are quite a lot of MATTHEWS in the 1800's in Deddington!!

Janet

marieparker

Default researching MATTHEWS Deddington

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Marie,

Who in particular are you looking for? There are quite a lot of MATTHEWS in the 1800's in Deddington!!

Janet
    reply to jan BOOTH. looking for Joseph MAttHEWS B C 1802-04, Rispah, Brother William, sister Eliza and their father possibly married 3 times. Their father was a master weaver.

janbooth

Default MATTHEWS of Deddington

Marie,

From the Oxfordshire FHS PR Transcripts of Deddington:

Baptisms:
    6 December 1808 Joseph MATTHEWS son William & Isabella
    13 October 1811 Richard MATTHEWS son William & Isabella
    18 March 1814 William MATTHEWS son of William & Elizabeth, weaver
    12 November 1815 Elizabeth MATTHEWS daughter William & Hannah (from Bish Tr), lab
    19 May 1816 Hannah MATTHEWS daughter William & Rizpha, weaver
    14 February 1819 John MATTHEWS son William & Rizpa, weaver
    13 January 1822 James Baker MATTHEWS son William & Rispa, weaver
    25 June 1824 Elizabeth MATHEWS daughter William & Elizabeth, weaver

Strange - there are no burials for Isabella or Elizabeth prior to Rizpha appearing on the scene. No marriages for William at Deddington either, so perhaps his other wives were buried in their home parish. There is a burial for a William MATTHEWS on 3 January 1827, aged 47.

However, on further investigation it could just be that whoever recorded the baptisms just incorrectly put down the name of William's wife as there is a marriage at St Giles, Oxford on 30 September 1805 of a William MATTHEWS (made his mark) and Rizpah BAKER, sojourners. Witnesses were James BAKER and Elizabeth STRONG (made her mark). This fits in very well with all the baptisms and explains why there were no burials of William's supposed other wives at Deddington.

The MATTHEWS family seems to go quite a way back in Deddington so it might be worth your while purchasing the parish register transcripts on CD.

HTH

Janet

marieparker

Jan Booth, Thank you very much for all the information on the matthews of Deddington. Abig heip. thanks,Marie.

Bev Gustafsson

Joseph Matthews is my Great, Great Grandfather. At 20 years of age he read a pamphlet about mission work and offered his services in 1829 to the Church Missionary Society as Missionary to the N.Z. natives. He entered CMS Training College at Islington in 1830. On the 18th March 1831 he embarked on the 'Argyle' sailing for Sydney, Australia, arriving 6 months later, 17th September, and welcomed by Rev. Samuel Marsden. After 6 months in Australia he left for N.Z. and arrived at Paihia, Northland, N.Z. He travelled to the Waimate Mission Station. He started his own Mission Station at Kaitaia, and on his first journey there was captured and was going to be cooked and eaten. But after preaching his first sermon in Kaitaia, the natives changed their mind. He was the first white man to go to Kaitaia. He married Mary Ann Davis on 16th Dec. They had six children. Joseph died 3rd Nov. 1895 aged 87 years at Kaitaia, Northland New Zealand.

Default Researching Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by marieparker View Post
    Researching MATTHEWS OF Deddington Oxfordshire 1800s Marie Parker
    Hi,I am also researching Matthews from Deddington-Duns tew area. My ancestor is Thomas Matthews born 1817,He married Lydia (Horton)?. They were publicans of the Plough Inn,Deddington.Thomas father was called William Matthews. Thomas had brothers,John,Joseph,Samuel and sister Mary. have you came across them at all in your research. I don't know if they may be related at all, as there are many Matthews from that area.

janbooth

I don't know if you already have this information, but William MATTHEWS married Sarah ARIS on 10 February 1812 by banns. Witnesses were Hannah ARIS & Mary ARIS. According to the parish register transcripts of Duns Tew, William was a Farmer.

There is a burial on 6 September 1841 for a Sarah MATTHEWS, aged 50 and another on 26 March 1849 for a William MATTHEWS (Churchwarden for 40 years), aged 62, both at Duns Tew.

I don't know how far back your research has already taken you so will not post any more details but if I can help you further do let me know.

Janet

Hi, thank you for replying. Yes i have got as far back as William marrying Sarah Arris.I do have quite alot on the family. what i am stuck mainly on is the wife of Thomas Matthews. We are pretty sure Lydia Matthews surname was Horton as we have found a marriage for them 1839,stating her father as William Horton,occ Farmer.They were married at St Michaels Church Oxford. I can't seem to find any more on Lydias parents or siblings if any.Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post. ps, i see you are in Congleton. My other side of Turnocks are all from there and surrounding area.

janbooth

It certainly looks as if you have the correct marriage as the parish register transcript of the marriage at St Michael shows Thomas to be aged 21 of Duns Tew and the son of William MATTHEWS, Farmer and Lydia to be aged 21 and the daughter of William HORTON, Farmer. Witnesses James HOARE? and Mary MATTHEWS. The way to prove that it is the correct marriage would be to purchase the birth certificate of one of their children which would confirm the mother's maiden name.

There is no baptism for a Lydia HORTON at St Michael Oxford and no HORTON entries during the period 1754-1852 except the marriage in 1839 so it does not look as if the HORTON family originated there. I note on the 1851 census that Lydia states she was born at Oxford St Giles but I cannot find a baptism for her in the parish register transcript of St Giles but there is one HORTON baptism at St Giles that of a Thomas HORTON on 18 January 1824 son of William & Ann HORTON, Labourer, Pawlin's Yard. Perhaps Lydia's family moved to St Giles when she was fairly young so always considered it her birth place?

Coincidentally, there is a marriage on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index on 17 August 1811 at Oxford St Aldate of a William HORTON & an Ann WILLIS, Lodger, which may perhaps be relevant to you. I do not have the PR transcripts of St Aldate so cannot give you any more details.

Will carry on looking.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 01-02-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast