pdwatson

Default NAUGHTONS OF OFFALY

I am attempting to find the place of birth of my irish ancestors who originated from Offaly County. They are: Dennis Naughton b. ~1810, wife: Catherine b.~1810, children Michael b. 1833, Dennis b. 1837, John b. 1841, Bridget b. 1842, Mary b. 1844. There may have been more children.

They emigrated to England between 1847-1851 and settled in Preston, England. Their descendents emigrated to the Fall River, MA in the US ~ 1889.

I would appreciate any information or suggestions for where to go next. I have been researching this issue for 4 years, and have hit a wall. Griffith's Valuation
    and other census substitutes were not helpful.

Thanks,

Debbie2000

Hi

I have a Micheal Naughton in my family tree born in Roscommon around 1821 who went over to England, Dewbury in 1849. Could be a connection?

pdwatson

Default Naughtons of Offaly

Debbie wrote:

Hi

I have a Micheal Naughton in my family tree born in Roscommon around 1821 who went over to England, Dewbury in 1849. Could be a connection?

I'm not sure. What do you know about Michael? Where is Dewbury? Who did he marry? Who were his siblings? From where in Roscommon did he come?

Thanks,

Pat

Debbie2000

Hi Pat

Sorry should have written Dewsbury, missed out the s. Its in west yorkshire, about 60 miles from Preston.

I believe Micheal had a brother Bartholowmew and a grandson Micheal born in 1872, great grandson Terrance who remembered being told about the barefooted walk from Liverpool to Dewsbury.

Batholowmew has descendants called Nocton and Conyers.

My information about this branch of the family has come via a relative in Australia but thats all the info I have at the present time.

pdwatson

Hi Debbie,

Without more information, I can't really tell whether or not there is a connection. I believe I saw your post before about your ancestors walking
    barefoot from Liverpool to Dewsbury. I did find my family in an 1851 British census living in Liverpool. Maybe it would be worth checking there for Bartholowmew.

pdwatson

Hi Debbie,

I think I found your family in the 1851 West Derby census. It has Bartholomew living with his father, Patrick and his mother, Catherine, as well as siblings, James, John, Mary and Patrick, but no Michael.

Debbie2000

OK thanks Pat. I`ll follow that up.