Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grace Helena

Default JOSLING: Coastguard: Brownsea Island

Hi
    My great great grandfather Thomas Josling was a coastguard on Brownsea Island according to 1851 census. By 1861 he was dead but I cannot find a record of his death in the register. If he drowned at sea where would he be registered? Where could I find a record of buriels in Dorset? Presumably Studland. How can I find out if he died "in service". His children were sent to an "industrial school" in CHARDSTOCK (which were not much better than workhouses I understand) so they were not well provided for. Any insights anybody I would be grateful.
    Any information on the Chardstock school would be brilliant - I gather Chardstock used to be in Dorset?

Grace Helena

busyglen

Grace, I notice that he was born on the Isle of Wight.....I suppose there is nothing to be found there? Just a thought. I also checked a memorial site for Coastguards that died at sea, but nothing listed there.

Sorry, I misread some information..it was young Thomas that was born on the Isle of Wight.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 09-01-2008 at 2:38 PM. Reason: correction

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Helena View Post
    Hi
    My great great grandfather Thomas Josling was a coastguard on Brownsea Island according to 1851 census. By 1861 he was dead but I cannot find a record of his death in the register. If he drowned at sea where would he be registered? Where could I find a record of buriels in Dorset? Presumably Studland. How can I find out if he died "in service".
    Have a look at this research guide on TNA's web-site for ideas on researching Coastguards.

Have you tried searching for a death with the name spelt JOSLIN? - and other variants?? Several Thomas JOSLINs who died in coastal districts between the years you mention.

Grace Helena

Thanks for your help but I've tried Joslin, Joselin, Joslyn, Joscelyne, Josslyn, Josselyn, Jocelyn and Gosling (as one transcriber has it!). He had another child in 1853 so narrows field a bit. I will try just ONCE more....

Grace Helena

Many thanks. The search goes on...

Grace Helena

I've been in touch with the National Archives but they say a search would take more than 20 minutes (I'll bet!) so suggest I visit and search myself. Not easy from deepest darkest Devon.
    Many thanks again.

Andrew Woodcock

Default Chardstock industrial School

Grace Helena
    If you can get a copy of " A HISTORY OF EDUCATION IN CHARDSTOCK" 1712 -1979 by P J Wood. ISNB 0-86114-298-5 you may find it helpful. My late Great Great Grand Father, Rev. Canon Charles Francis Woodcock, onetime Vicar of Chardstock, founded the Industrial School, largley from his own money. He was concerned that people were going onto the land as labourers or into service with no education. The school was run as a charity. My Great Great Grand Father also founded St. Andrew's School, rebuilt the church and vicarage and much more besides. In family papers there is a note that the family outlay for the benefit of Chardstock amounted to about £70,000. My Great Great Grand Father was of the opinion that if divine providence posses you of wealth you should spend that wealth for the benifit of others.
    Andrew Woodcock

Grace Helena

Andrew
    Many thanks for your post re Chardstock School. That's really interesting. My great grandfather was at the school aged 10 in 1861 and went on to become a bell hanger, a whitesmith and finally ran a pub in Salisbury - so he was indeed kept off the land! £70,000 must have been an enormous amount of money then, goodness knows what today's value would be. Whilst I admire his benevolence do you ever wish that perhaps some had come down the line to you? (sorry, I do not wish to sound impertinent!). Many thanks again for your help and I will indeed try to get a sight of the book you mention.

Dorset Girl

With reference to Brownsea Island it might be an idea to find a book on Smuggling in Dorset as I believe the coastguard station on Brownsea was founded to try and stop the smuggling on the Dorset coastline.
    Marion

Grace Helena

Default Thomas JOSLING

Ages ago I asked whether anybody could help with a missing Thomas JOSLING a coastguard on Brownsea Island who apparently died without being in the records.

Well.... I finally made it up to the National Archives and had great success.
    It seems that Thomas was "lent to Fleet" meaning he joined the Navy (about the time of the Crimean war in 1853/54 and a note says "letter received confirming death July 1854". So he died at sea in the Navy which explains why he is not in the normal death register. Unfortunately the only records we could find stating causes of death on which ship, started in October 1854... frustrating so if I can just fine out which ship he joined...... !

A bit daunting at the Archives at first but once you find your way round its brill! And the people are so helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast