Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    busyglen

Glad you finally found out what happened at last.

Glenys

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Grace

In answer to your question 'which ship?', it was HMS Nile, and he died on the 11 July 1854.

I would suggest that when next at the NA you consult ADM 141/7, which is the register of seamen's effects papers that cover surnames G-N for the period 1849-61. You will then need to consult the papers themselves in ADM 44. These may provide a cause of death, always assuming your man had unpaid wages and effects that were claimed by his widow.

Martin

Grace Helena

Default Thomas Josling - late of HMS Nile!

Dear Martin

Brilliant! Thank you. But how do you know he was on the Nile?

I'm guessing your speciality is the Crimean War about which i know next to nothing. Was HMS Nile in any action in July 1854? Though being one of my relatives he probably died of disease or fell overboard!

I think we were working towards the ADM files you mentioned but ran out of time as they were not on microfilm if I remember rightly. But we were happy enough to have at least found where he had gone from Brownsea Island.

I wonder why he left what must have been a fairly easy living on Brownsea as a coastguard to join the Fleet. Did he have a choice I wonder.

I shall drop a line to the Archivist on Brownsea as they seemed quite interested when I did a bit of research there.

Many, many thanks again.

Yours

"Grace"

Grace

The reason I know that Thomas was on HMS Nile, is that some 2500-3000 Coastguards were called up for service in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, the majority serving in the Baltic Fleet. After the war they returned to their normal CG duties.

I am in the process of identifying all these men from the various ships' description books, muster rolls, and medal roll, entering their names, ages, ships and medal details on to a database. As part of this study I had previously recorded Thomas, and had entered him on the database, which now consists of some 2700 men.

As to his cause of death it is more likely to have been through accident or illness, because the Baltic Fleet saw very little action that involved the loss of life. However, even though Thomas died, he was issued with a Baltic Medal, which I assume was sent to his wife, on the 21st April 1857. Unfortunately, the majority of Crimea and Baltic medals to the navy were issued unnamed.

If you do go to Kew again you might want to look at the ships description book and log for HMS Nile. The first is likely to have a physical description of Thomas, and the second may record his death or burial. To save you a little time his ships number was 30 in the 'Coastguard Men' List, in the Ships Description Book.

Finally, can I ask if you have traced his CG career, which can be done online, for FREE, using the records in the ADM 175 series of documents on the NA's website?

Regards

Martin

Grace

Just out of interest I checked the records in ADM 175, only to discover that you must have read what ship he was serving on when he died when you found he was 'lent to the fleet', because it is noted on the same record. I think this is a case in point where it is always good to get a copy of the document, and then review your findings when you get home and have more time!!

I see that on the 8th October 1845 he was transferred from Ryde CG Station to Studland, the reason given was basically because he had married a local girl, and could no longer be relied on to be impartial.

He was nominated to the CG Service on 21st July 1845 from the Revenue Cruiser Stag , his first posting being to Ryde. If at the NA I would also order ADM 119/119. This is the Muster Book for Stag, and starting from July 1845 it should be possible to trace back his time on this ship, and also establish if he served on any other Revenue Cruisers.

Regards

Martin

Chardstock HRG

Grace and Martin

Hopefully this will reach you. I am a member of the Chardstock Historical Record Group (CHRG) and we have in our possession a full list of the PRINCE ALBERT’S PATRIOTIC FUND FOR THE RELIEF OF THE WIDOWS AND ORPHANS OF SOLDIERS KILLED IN THE CRIMEAN WAR OCTOBER 1853 TO FEBRUARY 1856. There are five children of Thomas Josling listed in the document.
    There is too much information to be posted in this forum. If you could send me a PM, we should be able to help.
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12