Thread: Adopted Sister

Legacey

Default Adopted Sister

Hi,

I found out a few years ago that I have a adopted sister. She was born at the Queens Charlotte Hospital in Hammersmith in 1976. Shortly after she was adopted.

Is there a way of finding out if the adopted parents changed her name or if they kept the name that my mother gave her?

Thanks

Geoffers

First point of call would be parents for any information that he/she/they can provide as to reasons for adoption, does any paperwork survive from the case?

Next place to go is the local Social Services Department where the adoption was arranged as to any information that they may legally provide, which may be limited. I understand that those who were adopted have leagal recourse to find the identity of their biological parents, I don't know whether siblings have similar rights; but the Social Servies ought to be able to advise you of these and any procedure you need to follow.

Some other threads in this forum may give you some insights to other enquiries that you may try.

Legacey

My parents are quite open about it. There isn't any paperwork only her birth certificate.
    I'll try the local social services and see if they can help me.

Thanks