Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default New Year Competitions for Newbies (and not so newbies)

This is a competition which is open to all, though it is aimed chiefly at those who are fairly new to British-Genealogy and therefore may not know their way around the forum or how to locate the wealth of information stored on the site.

All entries should be sent to me via PM (private message) – click on my name next to my picture above and then choose ‘Send a Private Message’ to Sue Mackay from the menu. Do NOT post the answers by replying to this thread. The closing date is 14 January.

The winner will be the one with the highest score. If more than one person scores 100% (and hopefully that will be everyone) then there will be some form of ballot. The prize will be a CD of ‘Evidence on the Employment of Children – 1842’, produced by Archive CD Books. Should Bo Peep get spare tickets to the ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ event in London then these will also be issued to competition entrants by ballot.

ALL the answers can be found by searching this site. In the first instance try the Search button located in the blue Tool Bar across the top. Type in the word(s) or phrase you are looking for, and it will bring up threads containing that word or phrase. The answer may not be in the first posting on the thread, but as you scroll through the posts the search item will be highlighted in red.

If you have a feeling that the answer will be on a particular forum, try Forum Jump. Scroll right to the foot of the page and this menu will appear, enabling you to locate other forums (and scroll quickly through to see what is available) without having to return to the home page.

Some of the answers are contained in the Resources Pages, which are essential reading for newbies. If you have the Forum set as your start page then you reach the Resources Pages by going to https://www.british-genealogy.com/ and clicking on the various sources.

The questions are in the next posting of this thread. If you wish to print them off to have on your desk while you search for the answers, click on Thread Tools at the top of this message and select ‘Show Printable Version’.

Good luck!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Default Questions

QUESTIONS

1. What was the exact date of the 1841 census?
    2. What does PCC stand for?
    3. Where is the British Library’s newspaper collection currently held?
    4. When did civil registration start in Scotland?
    5. Who or what is NAOMI?
    6. How many Family History Societies or Local History Societies advertise publications or membership via Parish Chest?
    7. Where can WW1 medal cards be downloaded?
    8. How did Sir Henry Hobart die, who killed him, and when?
    9. Where was Charles Lampett a millwright?
    10. What was the Lock Hospital in Paddington used for?
    11. Who was murdered on 24th March 1809 in Port Antonia?
    12. Where is the Regimental Museum of the Black Watch?
    13. According to Black’s medical dictionary, what was the commonest cause of death of children over the age of one in the latter half of the 19th century?
    14. What is a parish sequestrator?
    15. Why was Thomas Honour Stone not all that honourable?
    16. Joseph Glover was a 77 year old annuitant in 1851. Where was he born?
    17. What is a riddler?
    18. Why would it benefit you to become a virtual member of Bedfordshire Library?
    19. What does Xber stand for in a parish register?
    20. From which year do the GRO death indexes include the age at death?
    Sue Mackay

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

15. Why was Thomas Honour Stone not all that honourable?
    ummmmmm, I don't think that you mean his getting my great great grandma pregnant when she was barely 15?

No, that is NOT the CORRECT answer

sorry could not help myself.

ChristineR

BeeE586

The pub at the end of my street (formerly a flour mill) is call the Joseph Glover, does that count for anything ?

Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by BeeE586 View Post
    The pub at the end of my street (formerly a flour mill) is call the Joseph Glover, does that count for anything ?

Eileen
    It might get you a prize at this rate Eileen. No entries so far! Come on folks, your New Year hangover should be over by now...

The competition is open to EVERYONE, and you have till January 14 to find the answers. If you can't find them all, put in an entry with what you can find - it might still qualify for a prize. Questions are further up on this thread.
    Sue Mackay

That's cos the questions are hard! and require us to actually go look up the answers. Most of us are too full of Christmas fare and too lazy to do that.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    That's cos the questions are hard! and require us to actually go look up the answers. Most of us are too full of Christmas fare and too lazy to do that.
    I bet you could answer some of them without looking up a thing And they are all designed to be found very easily by using the Search button at the top of the page, which many seem to be totally unaware of!

I have hopes that some people have been having a root around via the search button, as there have been a number of contributions to very old threads appearing in New Posts (You didn't look at the date on Rod's posting re Registration Cards, did you Christine )
    Sue Mackay

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

OK Sue, I've printed off the questions and am about to start searching so who's going to stop me from winning my second BG prize in a month? ..........

Mary.

SBSFamilyhistory

I have the answers to most of them will post my entry to Sue on monday or Tuesday.

So Mary let the battle begin.

Sue

busyglen

I thought I would hang back and give others a chance....but...if I can find a bit of spare time, will have a bash. I quite enjoy this type of thing as it certainly helps one's knowledge. It's a good quiz Sue.

Glenys

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast