Thread: Lane family

Default Lane family

Hi,
    Is anyone else researching Lane in Hereford?
    It started with James William Theophilus Lane (James on the 1851 census), chr. 06/05/1814 Hereford son of James Reece Lane and Mary Ann Parry. Eventually tracked their marriage down - 24/05/1813 Woolwich, Kent. Don't have any onfo. on Mary Ann but James Reece was chr. 27/02/1790 Ross On Wye son of James and Anna Jemima Taylor.
    I'm intigued by 'Theophilus', it features regularly through several generations. James Reece has a brother Theophilius (1791, Ross On Wye), and I have a Theophilus Lane chr. 31/01/1745 Hereford son of Theophilus and Juliana and another Theophilus Lane chr. 19/03/1718 St. Owen Hereford, which I suspect is the same Theophilus that marries Ann Bulloch 20/04/1718 at All Saints Hereford. I'm sure there must be a link between James Lane (husband of Anna Jemima) and the others but I can't find his dates and I'm missing a generation.
    Angelaj

jamesmantle

Hello
    I have one Mary ann Lane born in 1827 on my Tree from Ledbury who had a daughter called Elizabeth Lane born in 1852 but I do not know whether Lane was her married name or her Maiden name, if you could put any light on this problem then I would be most greatful thank you.
    James Mantle

Lizzy9

Hi James,

An Elizabeth Lane was baptised 11/4/1852 in Ledbury, her parents were William and Mary.

She may be worth further investigation.

Mutley

There is an Elizabeth Lane in the 1871 census who seems to be the step daughter of Thomas Bayliss married to Mary A. There are several other younger Bayliss children. Elizabeth is said to have been born in 1852 in Ledbury.

RG10/2682 Folio 18 Page 30 (TNA Copyright)

It is possible that William died and Mary remarried.

Mutley

Free BMD has Thomas Bayliss on the same page as Mary Ann Lane in Ledbury in June 1857

following a death for a William Lane in Ledbury registered in March 1856.

Thomasin

Perhaps I should point out that jamesmantle already has two threads running on this family.

Thomasin

Thanks, Graham. I didn't know how to do the link.

janbooth

Hi Angela,

Given the link of the LANE family back to Hereford, could this be the baptism of James LANE who married Anna Jemima TAYLOR (IGI Family Search):

16 February 1761 at St John the Baptist Hereford James LANE son of James & Elizabeth LANE

AND because their son was baptised James Reece LANE, could this be the marriage (Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index) of the James & Elizabeth above:

19 April 1759 at Hereford St John James LANE of All Saints Hereford & Elizabeth REECE.

IGI Family Search shows several baptisms to James & Elizabeth LANE amongst them being a Theophilus LANE on 10 May 1762 at St John Hereford.

There are two marriages on the FHS Marriage Index for a Theophilus LANE:

10 April 1718 at All Saints Hereford Theophilus LANE of St John Hereford & Ann BULLOCK
    2 March 1744 at St Nicholas Hereford Theophilus LANE & Juliana RODD of St John Hereford, by licence

Going back a further generation, Family search shows the baptism of a James LANE on 3 August 1731 at St Owen Hereford, parents Theophilus & Elizabeth LANE but I can't find a marriage for this Theophilus to an Elizabeth on the Index and also no other siblings are shown on IGI. There is also a baptism shown for a James LANE on 14 September 1720 at St Owen, parents Theophilus & Ann LANE. Several other baptisms for this couple including a Theophilus on 19 March 1718 who could perhaps be the Theophilus who married Juliana RODD in 1744.

It could be well worth your while going through the LANE baptisms shown on the IGI at Hereford and plotting out Family Trees for the various families shown which could then give you a clearer image of the family progression but I think in the end you will have to consult the parish registers to confirm your direct line - there seem to be quite a few James & Theophilus LANEs in Hereford!

Janet